Chapter 17

Chapter 17

War.

Chara, Artemis, and Wallace made it to the battlegrounds in one piece. However, despite appearing to be a cohesive bunch, their opinions were completely divided.

"We're going to get caught," Wallace said through his teeth as they walked up the paved driveway of the Van Helsing manor. "You should have just let me continue to survey from my computer. The hare didn't win the race, you know."

"Well, this hare doesn't give a fuck about a race," Artemis said as they approached the front door. She carried a tray of dairy-free, gluten free, taste-free cookies. Chara laughed before pressing the doorbell.

"You're the confident one, remember?" Chara assured her boyfriend, wrapping an arm around his. 'We couldn't have done any of this without you, so own it."

"If I did, I'd be in jail," was his positive remark. On cue, a housemaid opened the door.

"Yes?" an older woman said with a moderate Spanish accent. Artemis smiled wholesomely at her.

"Hola, Mrs. Suarez," Artemis greeted. "It's been a few months, but you remember me, right?"

The woman nodded. "Yes, you were here over summer break with some of Miss Penelope's other friends." She shook her head. "You're the only one that acted with class. Are you still with that blond boy? He was nice, but seemed too insecure for a queenly young lady such as yourself."

"You're making me blush," Artemis laughed before offering the cookies to her. "These are my friends. Sorry to barge in, but I was driving them back from debate practice when Penelope asked me to pick up a book from her room." She showed the woman their fake text conversation. "Do you mind if I go up real quick? The other two can wait in the foyer if you're more comfortable with that."

"No problem," The woman offered. "The Van Helsing's are out, as usual. Just the guard and me. And you all don't look like trouble makers." Unfortunately, looks could be deceiving. She widened the door, and an air of class and sophistication hit them. "Please hurry though. I'm sure her parents do not want visitors after the incident."

"I know," Artemis pretended to sympathize as the group stepped in. "And sure thing."

The mansion was grand to say the least. It was an eclectic mix of modern and traditional, with dark wood molding and light walls with expensive paintings. Artemis would have been mesmerized, but she had been here on several occasions, and there was a bigger task at hand. Once they climbed the winding staircase toward the indoor balcony level that was the second floor, she instinctively turned left before turning the first door on the right open.

When they entered, Chara's mouth dropped.

"This is her room?" The space was at least the size of a small apartment, with a sitting area and even a canopy bed. There also appeared to be another balcony through a pair of French doors.

"Focus, Chara," Artemis said, setting her purse down. "You take the far wall. Wallace, you place the bugs. I'll search the bed area."

Penelope's room, which was bathed in purple and blue tones, was practically spotless. Artemis went to the bookshelf next the bed window first, but the container she was looking for didn't strike her. Penelope's mother had mentioned to the principal that Penelope kept a coded box somewhere in her room, and how she might have kept the sex video footage in there—that maybe she was looking for attention and used it against herself. Artemis brightened a little as she moved underneath the bed. It was nice to see no one was blaming Parker.