Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Artemis was done in everyway a person could be done.

Which was probably why she was standing in front of the Van Helsing mansion, ready to end it all.

"You and I both know that Dr. Van Helsing is worse than Penelope when she's angry," Jemma said next to her, scowling. "So remind me why we're trying to make her mad? While you're at it, remind me why you dragged me here?"

"I needed a witness," Artemis said matter-of-factly, rapping her knuckles against her door. Try a neutral witness. Chara and even Wallace had some bias with the Van Helsings. Jemma was as insightful as she was indifferent. And that was what she needed.

Jemma's teal eyes narrowed. "If she kills you, what makes you think she'll spare me?"

"Are you telling me that all those years of cheerleading didn't make you Kim Possible?"

"Ha."

When the door opened, they were expecting to see one of the maids. Instead, it was Dr. Van Helsing in the flesh. Her presence was a little overwhelming—the woman looked like a retired model, and she had two doctorates (from Ivy Leagues) behind her name. She exuded class and sophistication, and the past few months had left Artemis feeling anything but that. Jemma, however, appeared unfazed.

"Nice to see you again!" Jemma watched the woman's left eye twitch slightly.

"Uh, hello, Dr. Van Helsing," Artemis then offered, before extending a bouquet of roses toward the woman. "I know you must be busy, so I just wanted to quickly apologize for what my ex-boyfriend did to Penelope."

"You were always the kindest of Penelope's friends." She motioned to the other girl, her lip jerking downward. "Greetings, Jemma."

"We'll be on our way then," Artemis then said, turning toward the driveway. "Again, I'm sorry for what he did."

"Unfortunately, I cannot accept your apology," the woman replied, her brown eyes on the buds. "You weren't responsible for humiliating my daughter. The blame falls between Mr. Bloomfield and her. So I'm afraid you've wasted your time coming here."

Artemis bit her lip. Coming here was a waste of time if she didn't completely come clean. There was blood on her hands as well as Jemma's, Chara's. She exhaled. "Well, actually—"

"I have to take a call from my mom," Jemma began, stepping inside the house with her phone at hand. "Do you mind if I use the restroom while I'm at it? I'm sure Artemis would like to see how you're doing and not say anything stupid."

Artemis sighed as the woman led them into the vast space. When they took a seat in the living room, she could practically hear her heart thump in her chest. She gulped. It didn't help.

"You're friend is right, I'm afraid," the woman began, brushing a hand through her short hair. "I do have to head back into town in two hours. Would you care for any snacks?"

"I'm fine, honestly." Artemis tried to smile, but the word conflicted didn't even begin to describe how she felt. And fortunately for her, Dr. Van Helsing easily picked up on it.

"I used to be just like you," the woman began, crossing her legs. "Concerning myself with matters than only indirectly include me. I have four brothers and sisters in Colombia, and as the second oldest, I found myself spreading myself incredibly thin. But then I realized that I couldn't help those who didn't want to help themselves, especially if it meant compromising my own health...and sanity." She laughed, but it was hard to feel warmed by it. Not because she sounded like an evil witch or anything...it was because she was right.