~ Chapter nine ~

Saturday, August 29, 10:34 pm

I stared at my sleeping sister. I wish I could've saved her. I would do anything for that to be me over her. I grabbed her hand and held it while placing the other on my belly.

"Zo, you're gonna be an aunt, to twins. I wish you could see the pictures of them. It's incredible. But if you don't remember this when you wake up, then you may not know for a little bit. Sorry, I know you'd love to hear that you're going to be an aunt, but I don't know how I feel about telling anyone right now. I promise when I do tell you, I'll make sure that's the news of the day. You could use something that makes you happy to focus on. Me too, I mean all of this happening and you're in middle school. I'm pregnant, I mean who would guess? Grandma and grandpa are on their way here to see us. We'll still move there, I promise. I love you."

I stayed with her hand in mine until someone knocked at the door. I looked up with tears in my eyes at a doctor. She walked in with another woman, I assume is a nurse.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Evans, and this is Jane. I have some questions regarding her," the doctor gestured to Zoe.

"Okay, I can answer them."

"Are you her legal guardian?"

"Yes, I'm her sister."

"Perfect, can I start with your names?"

"I'm Adelaide Wood, my sister is Zoe."

"Okay, what's her birth date?"

"March 13, 2003."

"Any family health history for me?"

I listed off everything I did for my doctor and continued answering her questions about Zoe.

"Thank you, Adelaide. Now do you mind if Jane takes her blood pressure and the usual check up stuff?"

"Go right on ahead."

"Alright, I'll wait until she's awake to talk to her, call me when she does."

I nodded and watched the nurse check Zoe's blood pressure, heart rate, and other routine things and log them into her chart. Then she checked her IV bags and replaced the one.

"If you don't mind me asking what is she on?"

"Morphine," she replied.

"I wish I could be on that, I feel most of my pain. Luckily I've got a high pain tolerance."

"Why can't you have morphine?"

"Pregnant."

"Oh, congratulations. You can have pain meds though."

"I know, I'm on something else, just not as strong."

"That's good, your sister is doing great right now. She's a fighter."

"Thanks."

She smiled as she walked out of the room. I looked back at Zoe, still out. I just want her to be awake so I can know what's wrong. I forgot to ask.

I had fallen asleep watching Zoe. I sat up and looked at the clock on the wall. 11:06. I wasn't asleep very long. I looked back at Zoe as I noticed her stir. Her hand that I was still holding squeezed mine back. Her eyes began to open and look around. She felt my hand and turned her head to face me.

"Addy?"

"It's okay, little duck, I'm here. Don't move if it hurts, okay?"

She did anyway and worked her way into a sitting up position. I decided I would talk to her about everything before she was bombarded with questions from doctors and police.