~ Chapter seven ~

Three weeks later...

August 4th already, time flies. My phone buzzed and rung with a call.

"Hello?"

"Adelaide, honey, is that you?"

"Yes, grandma. How have you been?"

"I'm alright. I haven't seen you or your sister in years, why not come down and visit?"

"I don't really have the money right now. I wish I could, though. I'm actually looking to move somewhere and for a new job."

"I have a free room, why not come move in at the end of the month?"

"Grandma, what about Zoe?"

"Is she living with you?"

"Yeah, she is right now."

"Well, I have enough bedrooms and plenty of space. I would love for you to come and live with me and your grandfather, so we can help you back on your feet. I have a friend who manages a store that you could work at and there's a school a few blocks from the house, it'd be perfect."

"Look, I know you're offering it as a temporary thing, but could I work on a degree while I'm there too? I really need to get a start on my career."

"Of course, dear. The university isn't very far either, in fact we could help with tuition."

"Seriously?! That'd be so amazing. I could pay you guys back once I have a real job. I owe you."

"Well you can pay me back by coming to live with us, okay? I love you, Addy. I'll let you think it all over and you can call me back with an answer."

"Thanks, grandma. Love you too."

I hung up. I wonder what Zoe would think.

"Zoe! Could you come here?"

"What?"

"Hey, how do you feel about South Carolina?"

"Wait, for real? Are we moving?"

"Only if you're okay with it. We'd move in with grandma and grandpa and live there while we get back on our feet. Not that we're in a bad place but if we move there then I'm going to focus on my career and earn a degree. I want to work towards a better life for us, Zo."

"Let's move then. I always wanted to live by the beach, they do live close to it right?"

"Yes, they live right outside Charleston near the beach," I laughed.

"So when do we go?"

"You really do want to go, don't you?" I asked and she nodded happily.

"At the end of the month, sorry you'll be starting school late. I can't go sooner because I promised Josie that I'd meet up with her on the 20th."

"It's fine, not like it's by a lot right?"

"Exactly, now let's go get dinner. What do you want?"

"I know you're there almost everyday, but Agnus'?"

"Sure, and while we're there I'll let them know we'll be moving. But don't say anything else about where and don't let anyone else know either, okay?"

"Not even dad?"

"Definitely not, because he'll try to get you back so you can stay, but I have custody of you and he won't win, I promise."

Zoe nodded her head and we walked out to the car. The familiar drive wasn't long and soon enough we were ordering our food on the barstools in our usual spot. Sophia took our order and went back to get us cokes. When she came back I decided I would ask her about Heather.