She hoped today would be different and that she'd be able to find a dress. She wanted a dress as soon as possible so that she could get the necessary alterations to it in time for the wedding. Not that alterations would take long, she just needed to get it done ahead of time so that if there was an issue it could be resolved long before the wedding.

Before she could do that, she had to call her mother. Michael had been adamant about it and she was doing it to get him off of her back. She didn't care what her mother thought about the situation, she didn't need her approval for anything, not when she had willingly sold Mariah to the highest bidder and disguised it under faux concern.

She dialed her mother's number, but she didn't have to wait long to get an answer.

"Mariah? I have been trying to get a hold of you for months. Why are you ignoring me?"

Mariah rolled her eyes. "You know why I'm not speaking to you. I'm only calling you because Michael thinks I should to tell you that I'm getting married before it actually happens."

"Married? Mariah what are you talking about?"

"I'm getting married in December. I haven't decided whether or not you'll get an invitation though."

"I'm your mother! I'd better get an invitation-"

She hung up the phone and when it rang again she got up and took a shower.

When she got out of the shower, she picked up the phone to dial Michael's number. He was currently in Amsterdam, but he didn't have a concert that day so she figured he'd be bored in his hotel room.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe."

He chuckled. "Hey Mimi, what's up?"

"Oh, I'm just waiting on your sisters and your mom to get here so we can try on more of these dresses."

"Oh that sounds fun."

She giggled. "Don't start. I'm still curious as to what you're going to have designed for this wedding."

"Oh you'll see in December."

"I have one humble request."

"Anything for my future wife."

"Make sure I can't see your socks. I'm serious, if your pants aren't long enough I promise I will choke you."

He laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll wear appropriate length pants."

"Thank you." She sighed. "I told my mom I'm getting married."

"That's good. How'd she take the news?"

"Don't know. Don't care." She shrugged.

"I thought you told her."

"I did. Then I hung up."

She could hear him sigh. "Mariah..."

"I don't know if I can forgive her Michael. I really don't." 

"I understand how you feel."

Mariah heard a knock on the door. "I think everyone's here. I'll call you later."

"Okay baby. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye."

Mariah opened the bedroom door and one of the maids was standing there. "Ms. Carey, Mr. Jackson's sisters and mother are here."

Mariah nodded. "Thanks Fallon."

September 26th, 1996

Janet was waiting on the couch for Mariah to come out of her bedroom. She had a good feeling about today, that they'd find a dress so Janet and Latoya decided to bring their mother along. Latoya felt like it might help since Mariah wasn't on speaking terms with her own mother.