The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 17]

Start from the beginning

Clover grinned, "Yah, because you pulled that bloody stunt. I forgot how terrifying you can get when you're pissed off." She looked at the men, "take note of this, and don't piss my little sister off."

Violet grinned at the men sheepishly, "Sorry about that. I got a little crazy."

"A little?" Finn snorted. He gave her a serious look, "We need to talk later."

She rolled her eyes and nodded. Crap, she was hoping he would forget about it and not ask her a million and one questions. Oh well, maybe she could make him forget.

Realizing that Clover was still naked and now spattered in blood she snapped her fingers at Ryder. "Hey dude, can I have your jacket now?" When he gave a confused look she pointed at Clover. Ryder blushed and shrugged out of his jacket, handing it to her.

"Thanks," Clover smiled shyly, wrapping the large jacket around herself.

Basil leaned close to Violet and whispered in her ear, "You know, now that I've found you, I have to let your father know. And Sage."

Violet stiffened but nodded slowly, "Just wait a little bit, ok? For me?" He gave a slight nod, promising a reprieve for now. He could only delay his duties so long though.

Grinning falsely she faced the men, "Let's convene inside, yes?"

"He's not coming in," Finn said, pointing to Basil. "And how do we know we can trust her?"

Violet growled and walked over to him, sticking her finger in his chest, "She is my sister and he is my best friend. You trust me, right? Well I trust them. They're coming inside or I'm staying out here."

They stared intensely at each other for about a minute until Finn sighed and broke eye contact, "Fine," he muttered, "but I still don't trust him."

"You're just jealous that she likes me better," Basil teased as he walked past, an arm slung around Violet's shoulder. Finn crushed the urge to attack and stormed into the house angrily.

Raine watched the whole ordeal with a raised eyebrow and then shook his head tiredly. It was too much to take in, and they were delayed yet again in getting answers. He would have to call his men to order again on the morrow. Then they would leave for the Elders for real this time, regardless of any new events. He motioned for Paxton and Ryder to follow him into the house where they would all have a nice long talk.

Ryder started to follow Raine but looked back to see Clover struggling to get to her feet. She stumbled back to the ground with a frustrated moan. He was at her side seconds later, helping her back up with an arm around her waist.

"Thanks," she sighed. "The Hunters gave me something that weakened me so that I couldn't attack them." She gave a bitter laugh, "It worked." Up close, Ryder realized, her hair wasn't actually black, but a dark bottle green. He watched, fascinated as it changed different shades of green in the sunlight.

"Can you walk?" he asked huskily when she made no movement.

Clover tried to move her legs to no avail and shook her head, "Sorry. I'm useless right now."

Ryder cradled her gently in his arms, "That's alright," he murmured and carried her back into the house where an angry Violet was waiting. Before she could say anything he glared at her, "No I'm not taking advantage of your sister, she's too weak to walk. The Hunters gave her something to suppress her strength." Ryder set her softly on the couch and stormed out of the room.

Violet sat in between her sister and Basil and looked around, "Where is everyone else?"

Finn glared at her, "After you pulled that little stunt and ran out of the house, the other women tried to follow, but the men stopped them. They had to lock them up in the movie room again, otherwise they would have joined you out there."