Chapter 30: Mentors Return

Year: 1247

Masyaf

  I slowed down when I got closer to the stables. Masyaf looked, dark, gloomy, and like mother said robbed of all its joy. I saw father standing by the stables in old robes. He looked old, even older than the last time I saw him. My horse came to a stop in front of him. I looked down and smiled at him as he smiled back. I missed father very much and was glad I came to Masyaf.

“Hello tifl.”

“Bonjour baaba. [hello dad]”

“I see the years have treated you well.”

“Oui, they have.”

  I jumped off my horse and directed the horse to the stables. I hooked my horse and gave it an apple. It was a long journey and my horse was getting old. I was getting old but I could not just stop being an Assassin. It is the life I have known, I could not just throw it all away. I heard father come up behind me.

“What has happened over the years tifl?”

“I . . . um . . .”

  My voice trailed off. I cleared my throat. My throat was dry from lack of water; I looked down to my feet and then turned to look at father. I have no clue how he would react. I do not know if he would be happy, sad, angry or even disappointed.

“What is it tifl? You can tell me.”

“I got married.”

  I looked away and then looked back to father. He had a smile on his face. I looked at him confused. He had a bigger smile on his face.

“I am happy for you tifl.”

“But . . .”

  My voice trailed off. I looked over to my horse and started to walk out of the stable. Father let out a light chuckle and then coughed. I turned to look at him, panic in my expression. He waved me off as we headed into Masyaf.

“So, you do not mind that I got married?”

“La3, I am happy for you tifl. Do you have any kids with this man?”

  I swallowed hard before answering, “Oui, a daughter and a son.”

“I sense another one on its way.”

  I turned my head quickly in his direction. He had a smile on his face. His hood was up so I could only see half his face. How did he know, when I had only found out a week ago? As if he had read my mind, he turned to face me and then pointed to his eyes. Eagle Vision.

“It comes in handy a bit more than you think.”

“That is how ma chéri [my dear] found out the first time.”

“Ah, another Assassin.”

“Oui, I think you will like him.”

  Father turned to face the Masyaf gate. We stopped in front of it, not sure if we wanted to go in just yet. I looked at my father and then behind me, looking at the stables. I turned to father; he looked at me and nodded his head. We started to walk through the gates. Abbas has ruined everything. There is no more peace, love or joy. None of that exist anymore. Abbas took it all. I noticed father was starting to limp. His old age is starting to take a toll on him. I wrapped my arm around his waist and helped him the rest of the way. I looked up ahead and saw a group of Assassins sitting around a fire. We started walking towards them when I heard one of them hush the other and turn to look at us. He looked familiar and I had no clue where I saw him before.