I grabbed a piece of paper, and wrote down what Dan had told me. It seemed important.

I can't save you unless you believe in me. Please have the courage to let us fly. Remember.

After know I wouldn't forget it, I tried to fall back asleep, thoughts of feathers swirling in my head.

☾❀☽

As usual, Dan was about ten minutes late for class.

I jumped a little upon his arrival, making Dan smirk. "Good morning, honey," he greeted.

I smiled. Dan noticed.

"What's got you so happy?" he asked me.

"I finished your drawing," I explained cheerfully. Dan raised his eyebrows expectantly.

I was nervous. What would Dan think of it? I rested a finger on my ring.

Courage.

I took a deep breath, then shuffled through my bag before pulling the drawing out. I slid it over to Dan, waiting with baited breath for a response.

Please like it. Please like it. I repeated to myself.

Dan unfolded the sheet of paper, revealing a field of Forget Me Nots, swirling and winding about the page. Mixed into the small flowers were feathers, the same shade of light blue. Dan brought his hand up and touched the flower in his hair absentmindedly.

"Thank you," he mumbled quietly. "It's amazing."

I blushed a little at the praise. "Oh I'm so glad you like it."

Phil. Stop. You sound like a mom at Christmas.

Dan ran a finger over the drawing slowly, taking in each of the carefully shaded blooms. "How long did this take you?"

"Not sure. But it's not a big deal. I like drawing."

"Thank you," Dan repeated.

"What do you say we try some drawing together some time?" I mumbled so quietly it was almost a whisper. "I could make you another."

I regretted saying it. There was no way Dan would want to.

"I'd love to."

I smiled. This boy was beginning to be my friend.

☾❀☽

"I'm home," I announced as I pushed the door to my house open.

I was met with silence. I sighed inwardly, then walked into the kitchen where a small note was waiting for me on the table.

Welcome home, Phil. I will be out tonight, but we left food for you in the fridge, you only need to heat it up. I will be back late, have fun. Love, Mom.

I rolled my eyes slightly before crumpling the note in my hand. When was she ever home? I walked up the stairs, and sat down at my desk.

Boredom began to seep into my mind. I tried to busy myself with homework, but to say it made sense would be a lie.

I looked out the window. It was nice outside. But what would I do out there? Sit? Lie down? Walk? I frowned. Why was my life so boring?

At that exact second, my text tone went off. I fumbled for my phone, feeling surprised. I never used my phone much. Mt mom was honestly the only one who ever really texted me.