Chapter 20

The uchihas twirled around to see a busty woman with bleach blond hair tied into two low pig tails. Her honey coloured eyes stared at them with sadness and pain in her eyes. "Tsunade-sama." Mikoto greeted politely, Tsunade nodded her greetings at the family.
"He doesn't deserve it but God just has to punish the kindest and most beautiful people." Tsunade said. "You guys shouldn't be here."
"Why not?" Sasuke asked, Mikoto patted his arm to tell him to calm down.
"You know why he sent those letters? He was so scared. He didn't dare to face any of you to tell you all that he was going away, never to see any of you ever again so he disguised it as a goodbye letter saying he was leaving to another country. He broke up with you, Itachi, because he didn't want you to be tied down by the fact that he might be gone and you might not move on." Tsunade said, moving to Itachi to pat him on the shoulder. "I know you are hurting-"
"I want to see him." Itachi said.
"You-"
"I. Want. To. See. Him." Itachi grounded out, standing up straighter. Tsunade narrowed her eyes, studying him. "All you're going to do with your visit is hurt both you and him."
"I want to let him know that I'm there for him. Like I promised him that I will go through thick and thin with him. Fight for him, protect him, support him." Tsunade studied him a little longer before she sighed softly.
"Very well." She guided them to his room. The others drifted away from the door, a signal that they would leave the couple alone. "Be prepared. He doesn't look good."
"He will always be beautiful no matter what." Itachi muttered, making Tsunade smile at his love for the boy.
"Still. He should be awake soon. He might have just suffered from an a cardiac arrest, he wakes up faster than a patient that blackouts." Tsunade said, it was exaggerating but the comparison was there. Itachi's hand gripped the door frame, trying to brace himself for whatever that he was going to see. "I'm so scared." Itachi muttered. Tsunade looked at him. She would let Itachi open the door himself, it would be easier for the man. "It's okay."
"What if he reacts badly?" Itachi asked, gripping the door handle. Tsunade patted Itachi on the shoulder and tilted her head towards the door. Itachi let out a breath and muttered something inaudible under his breath before gently sliding the door open. He glided inside quietly, the door slid shut behind him. Naruto was stirring, Itachi waited for him to open his eyes before approaching. "Naruto..." He whispered, collapsing next to the bed. Naruto had many monitors hooked to him, a oxygen machine and an IV drip stood beside those monitors. The soft constant beeps from the heart monitor sounded deafening yet reassuring. He looked pale and tired, his blond hair still looked so soft and as bright as it could be in the dim room. The boy turned to him, it took the boy a while to react as if he was trying to focus his vision. The heart monitor's beep skipped one beat. "Itachi." A breathless mutter.
"I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." Itachi murmured, grasping Naruto's hand and nuzzling into it. Tears brimmed in his eyes, threatening to spill out. "What? No..." Naruto managed softly, Itachi wasn't sure what he was saying no to - his apology or his presence.
"I should have noticed sooner, I- we..."  He was lost for words, he didn't know what to say to Naruto. The boy was looking at him with the beautiful blue eyes that he fell in love with. He felt a squeeze from the hand he was gripping. "It's okay 'Tachi, I didn't want you to worry." The mask fogged up with each breath.
"You should have told me, we could get through this together." Naruto shook his head weakly.
"No... I'm going to be a burden."
"You are not and will never be a burden Naruto." A shiver was sent down Naruto's spine. Itachi saying his name still and always had that effect, it made him happy.
"Say it again." A weak mutter, Naruto's eyelids were drooping - he was getting tired.
"What?"
"Say my name please... I like it, Itachi."
"... I love you Naruto. You're an angel Naruto. You're beautiful Naruto. I love you so much Naruto." Itachi muttered each statement with a kiss. He kissed the boy's hand, fingers, cheek and the corner of his lips. This made the blond giggle breathless, a smile graced his lips before his eyes shut. Itachi's eyes drifted up towards the heart monitor to make sure there was still a heartbeat. Thank kami... Itachi let out a sigh of relief, Naruto just fell asleep. He sent a silent prayer to whoever that was listening that Naruto is getting better.