Chapter 11 - Night ops

Start from the beginning

"What? I didn't quite catch that sir, did you say we got the night off?" Otto joked as he graciously took one of the steaming hot soup cans from the Master Sergeant.

Now that he has a free hand, Kristin removed the spoon from his mouth and wiped the handle off on his sleeve. "Not one chance in hell Sergeant, I drew the fucking short straw tonight, so with that being said our platoon has patrol duty." Kristin said as Oslo took his can of soup and said his thanks to Kristin.

The two were going to start speaking their minds about going on patrol, however Oberfelwebel Roper immediately stopped them, "Just eat your damn soup, I got to wake the rest of the platoon up, get them fed and then have dinner myself. So shut it and dig in." He ordered as he started backing out of the tend and ducked his head, heading back out into the dark.

They just grumbled their displeasure about the matter before listening to Kristin and wolfing down the "delicacy" meal.

After all, the company cooks have made use of an abandoned farmhouse nearby, so tonight and tomorrow morning the troops will be tasting good foods that seem long forgotten which was the case. Anything is better than their rationed bread, cheese, deli meat, and crackers for frontline meals.

By the time the platoon was finished with their late dinner, everyone was actually happy that Roper drew the short straw and all gripe about the subject ceased.

Even the two Lieutenants, both Oberleutnant and Leutnant were actually happy with the Master Sergeant's unfortunate luck.

Oberleutnant Arnold Rauscher, the senior platoon officer had everyone organized and assembled within a matter of minutes after dinner.

He wanted everyone present so they could be assigned sector patrols, and with that in mind their newest junior officer, Leutnant Niklas Kittel was placed in the western patrol with the platoon's most experienced and eldest NCO. Oberfeldwebel Kristin Roper.

Everyone's side conversations were cut short when Rauscher's voice took a serious, 'I'm not bullshitting' tone when he spoke to Kittel, "Remember this Leutnant Kittel," He warned, "You may out rank Oberfeldwebel Roper here, aber du bist grün, neu zu die Heer mit keine erfahrung. Lernen von ihm und ich werde können Sie führen die Männer bald, verstehen?"

"Jawohl herr, ich verstehe dich!" The eager, but young man said as he nodded his head, he looked at least twenty years old, maybe twenty-one.

"Gut, take care to remember that Leutnant Kittel, die Oberfeldwebel has been serving the fatherland since 1930. That's fourteen years he's been fighting for his country, I expect you to learn a lot from this great man." Rauscher said, and knowing that.

It's going to be the safest place for the 2nd Lieutenant to go and being with someone who's heavily experienced, and greatly regarded amongst his men to the point that even the company Hauptmann occasionally takes advice from this veteran.

This is just something that Arnold wouldn't have thought he'd see in his five years of service.

Much to Kristin's distaste for being put on junior officer "baby-sitting" detail, he knew it'd also be the safest and most beneficial thing for the young man. So, he just let out a soft sigh and acknowledged his Oberleutnant.

Kristin was hoping that something like this wouldn't happen, because the last time a junior officer was placed under his care, he got killed back in Tunisia.

He should've been there to save Weber, but he just wasn't abled to due to the fact that he was momentarily captured by two British soldiers. At least he can rest easier knowing that Oslo hacked his shovel into that bastard of an Englishman's neck.