one

It's been a little over a month since I've moved to Brighton. I love it here especially since I'm living right next to the sea where I hear the waves hitting the against the sand every minute of the day. London is a lot different than the states where I came from. My mother always wondered why I was so fascinated by this place and honestly I don't really know. Mostly the people. Mostly my neighbour, Jack Maynard. His name is like cursing or something in this small town. Everyone knows it, but no one likes to say it or hear other people say it. Still thinking about the mysterious boy I put my hair up into a pony tail and straighten out my shirt getting ready to go to work. Picking up my purse I go downstairs and out the door letting the cool breeze hit me as I walk outside. Looking next door I see his car there like it is every day and night. Sighing I get into my car and drive down the street to the little cafe that I've grown close to this past month. It's like a second home to me.

"Good morning Kasey" my co-worker, Joe, says with a bright smile like always.

"Good morning Joe" I reply with a smile. Walking into the back I see Scarlet punching in. "You're actually on time today" I gasp making her roll her eyes. Punching in I hang my purse up on the hook and walk back out to join Joe and Scarlet. Pouring myself a cup of coffee I take a sip instantly making me happy.

"You really love your coffee, don't you?" Scarlet asks chuckling.

"Leave me alone Ms. Always Late" I say sticking my tongue out like a five year old. "Serious time though. Can I now know why?" I ask leaning against the counter.

"Know what?" Joe asks playing dumb.

"Why," I pause lowing my voice since there's people in the cafe, "the name Jack Maynard isn't allowed to be said in this town?" I ask making them both look at me like I just killed someone. They look at each other then back at me.

"Later" Scarlet says making me groan.

"First it was soon and now it's later. When the fuck is later? In 20 years?" I whisper not wanting to bother people.

"After work today. There happy?" Scarlet asks before turning around the fix the display of the baked goods. The day goes by like any other with people coming in and out picking up coffees and baked goods before heading off to their job. Some familiar faces stop and chat for a couple minutes before scurrying off having places to be. It's weird everyday I wait for that door to open and see Jack himself walk in, but everyday when Scarlet turns the sign my hopes vanish knowing it will probably never end up happening. Shutting the lights off I take a look outside seeing cars still whizzing by and sirens blaring in the distance making me miss the quietness that it was back home.

"You okay?" Joe questions coming up next to me.

"Just watching these cars makes me start to miss home and how quiet it always was."

"Yeah, but sometimes if you look up and see the stars the noise will disappear" Joe says and we both look up hearing a car honking soon after. "Or not. Hey I tried" He laughs.

"A for effort" I chuckle as we walk into the back joining Scarlet at the table. "Now tell me why everyone is soooo afraid of Jack Maynard."

"This isn't a joking matter" Scarlet answers.

"Okay sorry" I say becoming more serious.

"A little over a year ago Jack was dating this girl named Madison who lived right next to him in the house you're living in right now. They were around seventeen or so and madly in love with one another. Her parents of course didn't like Jack because he wasn't exactly perfect in school. People said he dealt drugs, has killed someone and all kinds of things to Madison trying to get her to dump him. It never worked. She wanted to run away with him and he told her it was a bad idea, but she didn't care. Sooner or later she convinced him to do it and they left a week before they were both going to graduate. That same day Madison was killed in a car crash. Everyone thinks Jack did it on purpose because he didn't want to really run away with her, so he ran the car into a tree making sure it hit the passengers side. He's came back saying there was another car involved, but no one believes him. Since then everyone that wasn't scared of him before the crash is now" Scarlet finishes leaning back in her chair. I stare at the table letting everything what she told me sink in.

"And no one thinks he's innocent?" I ask starting to feel bad for him now knowing why he never leaves his house anymore. Also, because of how stupid the story really sounds.

"Did you seriously not just hear what I told you?" Scarlet snaps making me jump a little. Joe lays his hand on her shoulder. "Sorry it's just I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that. The story just makes me so mad and I'm sorry." I look up at Scarlet seeing her eyes start to glisten. Looking up at Joe he gives me a sad look.

"She was your sister wasn't she?" I ask not wanting the answer to be yes.

"Yes" Scarlet says letting a tear slip down her face. Standing up I walk over and bend down pulling her into a hug. The few tears turn into full blown sobbing making me tear up a little.

"Hey how about a sleepover at my flat?" Joe asks trying to lighten the mood. Scarlet and I start to chuckle knowing he is never good on dealing with other people's emotions.

"Sounds nice" I say letting go of Scarlet and wiping underneath her eyes clearing up her mascara for her. The three of us walk outside into the darkness of the night. Hearing the cars still going by I laugh at Joe's lame attempt to help me fight my homesickness. Getting into my car I follow Joe to his apartment building. Parking outside I lean against my car waiting for Joe and Scarlet to walk over. 

"Caspar here tonight?" Scarlet asks and we both look at Joe.

"Yeah he should be" Joe says unlocking the door to the apartment. "Caspar!" Joe yells.

"Yeah!" Caspar yells back.

"Girls are here!" Joe yells and when he doesn't here an answer back Joe shrugs going over to the couch and flopping down. Scarlet and I do the same then hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Joe!" Caspar yells falling on top of Joe causing him to groan in pain.

"Get off before you kill me" Joe replies pushing Caspar not moving him at all.

"But I missed you" Caspar says pulling Joe's face into his chest. "You left me to cook by myself. I could've burned the house down."

"I leave you here all the time alone. Now let go!" Joe yells and Caspar finally lets go, but doesn't get off his lap. Scarlet looks at me smirking before turning around to look at the two.

"Kasey look at Jaspar being such boyfriends."

"I wish I was as cute as you two" I add.

"Piss off both of you" Joe says making us both laugh.

"You're just jealous because he loves me more" Caspar says playing along with us placing a kiss on Joe's cheek.

"I hate all three of you so much" Joe says wiping Caspar's kiss from his cheek.

"Maybe we should leave to let Jaspar have their privacy" Scarlet says elbowing me in the side.

"Have fun you two" I say as me and Scarlet get up from the couch and start to walk down the stairs picturing Joe shaking his head with a smile on his face.