Book 6⌇8. Undying

Chapter 8 ∣  Undying

-Adrasteia

My first sense to awaken, was smell, drawing in the deep scent of ash and coals. It was much harder to get my eyes to open their heavy lids, my body broken but slowly starting to heal with time. Lying on my side, I pulled the fingers from my left hand into a fist, taking the silky texture with them. Feeling the remnant traces of undiluted liquid silver coursing through my veins, polluting my bloodstream brought back the moment of fear in their eyes.

Cowards.

Resorting to weakening a vampire when you are one, is just plain cowardly. I remember seeing the face of the one who should have been my beloved, choking the life from me. He held no remorse or sadness in his eyes. His decision was final, choosing Cleo over me and defending her put everything into perspective.

I should have run.

I shouldn't have dared to storm into his coven and think I could take her life. I demonstrated the will to stand against my coven leader. Seeing as I think I'm still alive...Landon will have notified every coven about my actions, his words branding me as a rogue vampire.

There's no place for me on Earth anymore. My heart still aches, and it just won't stop. I want to disconnect completely, but I can't, something is still lingering and holding onto my very existence.

Fresh hot tears crept from the corners of my closed lids, trailing down the sides of my cheeks as I took a shaky breath.

Why me?

Just...why?

I just want to fade away.

Focusing on the shadows, I attempted to take in its pull.

Nothing.

My strength and speed were returning, but the last thing that would come back was my inherited ability. I'd have to wait until the silver had completely run its course to fade away into nothing.

That's all I am.

Nothing.

Hearing something in the distance, my eyelids fluttered open, blinking several times to absorb my surroundings as well as brushing the tears away.

What?

This is unfamiliar. Where am I?

My vision was hazy at first, focusing until I finally was able to get a good look around me. I was in a rather grandiose bedroom, the many shelves and stands that lined the walls also held dark pictures of what could only be described as a heritage. Sitting up, I gripped the sheets in my hands, looking down to see I was encased in warm covers, the darker hues of ebony and maroon a stark contrast to my pale skin.

My long light brown hair was undone from the tie that once restrained it. Pulling back the covers cautiously, my eyes held the clothes that had replaced my assassin's outfit. Wearing simple black yoga pants and a loose-fitting tank top.

I froze. With my heart beating faster, trying to comprehend what happened and where I became a lot harder than when I originally woke. Some part of me was secretly hoping this had all been but a terrible nightmare and that I would wake next to Landon with the mark of his fangs clear as day on the side of my neck.

No, but now I really did feel like I was in a nightmare.

What if he had sent me away? What if I was going to be killed in a more gruesome way with my death sentence undetermined. Maybe I was just living on death row now...everything was so confusing and making my head hurt.