11.Shift

The cell was dark, the only light was the pale moonlight, spilling into the room like liquid diamond.

Neither of them were sleeping, Thorne was pacing again and Lilian was watching him from her seat on the bed.

His continuous footsteps pounding into the floor were almost hypnotic in there rhythm.

Ubruptly he came to a halt, pausing infront of her. "You remember what I said?"

"Yes." She replied simply, he had told her enough already. Stay on the bed, keep quite, that he wouldn't hurt her. Or he'd try not to.

She wasn't sure what was going to happen, and was becoming more and more anxious as the night wore on.

Sudenly he let out a grunt of pain, his body quivering spasmodicly. Then his spine stiffened and he stood straight, muscles taught.

"Thorne!" She exclaimed, moving towards him.

He threw a hand out towards her, pleading for her to stay back, "Don't." His word was strained and tight. "Stay there," He let out a gasp and doubled over.

She watched, wide eyed in horror as the skin on his back split down his spine. The bones, visible, started to shift and curve, and he fell to the floor on his hands and knees.

The only thing stopping her from running to him was his final warning, his plea for her to remain where she was.

His legs bent and broke, the bones snapping and refusing. Groaning his eyes met hers, wind swept oceans trapped in the iris.

"I won't hur-" Thorne's voice cut of with a terrible crack as his jaw broke apart and his skin ripped down the center of his face.

She flinched as he howled in pain. The shock of what she was seeing overpowered the sence of confusion that had originally clouded her mind.

She turned away and hid her face in her hands, she couldn't watch, it was to much. Even in all her life, when she had seen many horrific wounds, and beaten bodies, nothing was as gruesome as this.

All at once his howls stopped.

She lifted her head and looked towards Thorne... But it wasn't him any more. Standing there, panting, was a wolf.

She didn't move, didn't scream, didn't run like her instincts were telling her to. Anyway if she did where would she go. She was trapped in here.

The beast raised its head and black eyes met hers. But they held none of the kindness Thorne's had, no glint of humor.

It moved towards her, eyes dark with predatory precision. Lilian's breathing hiched as the wolf stalked slowly nearer.

She pressed herself back against the wall, something not unlike fear licking at her mind.

He wouldn't hurt her, it was still Thorne... just different.

Drool dripped from the wolf's mouth as it pulled back it's lips in a snarl, exposing long, sharp teeth, that shone in the subtle light.

He let out another growl and came ever closer. The animal was large, from her spot on the bed she could meet his gaze directly.

"Please," she wispered almost silently, the wolf paused in its attack and stared at her. It's hind legs, poised ready to strike, relaxed slightly, and it let out a whine.

Sudenly it ripped it's stare away from her, and paced to the other side if the room.

She didn't dare move. Didn't dare breath.

When he reached the other side if the room, he sat, and twisted his head to one side, examining her. Still with that predatory gase but it held less of the malice of before.

He let out another whine and lay down on his paws. She let out a shaky breath and relaxed slightly into the bed. She could trust him, even when he was in a different form.

Suddenly it hit her like a brick, he was a shifter. A werewolf. A wolf.

Lilian's mind clouded with questions to ask him when he turned back.

If he turned back.

She looked towards the sky and saw the full moon, still glowing softly, pale beams of light sifting between the bars.

A full moon that his beast could not resist, and was forced into a shift.

She wondered if he could do it by will at other times.

Thorne was still watching her from his corner, and seemed like he wasn't going to move.

She lay her head down and closed her eyes. If she didn't trust him it would have been a stupid thing to do, but she figured if he wanted to kill her, he would have done it by now.

Hopefully.