3.Scream

It was cold. Horribly cold, and Lilian was huddled on her bed, knees tucked into her chest in the futile attempt to keep warm.

The thin blanket was wrapped around her tightly, almost strangling in its hold. But it provided little heat and even less comfort.

There was no light shining in through the cell door, and just moon light through the barred window high up in the wall.

Just a few minutes ago she had heard the faint tolling of a church bell. It was midnight.

Then suddenly a sound shattered the silence of the night. A scream, so terrible in its tone. Like an animal in pain.

It came again, shaking Lilian to the core. She covered her ears with her hands, in desperation, trying uselessly to block it out.

For some reason, every wail hurt her. There was a sharp pain deep in her chest, like someone was ripping at her heart.

The awful sound continued through the night, Lilian sat on her bed, sobbing and rocking, waiting for it to stop.

The voice was, low and remorseful, definitely a man she figured.

It came again, louder, like a howl. But this time instead of just noise, wild and uncontrolled, words were screamed into the darkness of the night.

"Give her to me! I KNOW SHE'S HERE."

Lilian wondered who they were talking about.

"Bring her here, I can smell her!"

The voice was rasping and rough, possibly from the previous shouting. From what she could hear the sound seamed to be coming from a different section of the prison. Further away from the normal cells.

There was something about it that drew her in. Made her want to follow the voice, it's deep masculinity was attractive, even if she didn't know who it came from.

Suddenly the shouting was cut off and the night was unaturaly silent. She waited for it to start up again, but it didn't.

Eyes still wet with tears, she curled in on herself and tried to get some rest.