The Rape of Proserpine Chapter Nine

Nine

Knowing that something dark and evil was waiting in the wings is far better than living in fear of not knowing anything at all. I knew it first hand, experienced it even in vivid intensity. But after all that had happened, I still considered myself lost in the black hole of suspicion, questions, and unsteady rhythm of what might happen later, tomorrow, next week, and so on. It was a never ending loop. And as I strained to look further into the tunnel, I found myself not surprised to see no flicker of light ahead. I was enclosed, and very much alone in the journey.

The days passed into weeks, then months, after that terrifying night. Summer gave way to fall. My feeling of being constantly watched ceased in some ways. I never had another encounter with the one, but I knew, at the back of my mind, it wasn’t over.

That stormy night provided an opportunity to inflict damage, and damage beyond reason was served. Being in the middle of Marel’s bloodied room earned me my parents’ distrust. They thought I was the one who did it, even if I pointed out the fact that someone gave mom a fake message about my dad being stuck in Cherry Road. In the end, I just gave up trying to deny it. No matter what I said or did, I was already branded as troubled to them, in which I was forced to spend some time under the supervision and counsel of a professional.

To be totally honest, I guess they were just waiting for me to snap. To act recklessly and insanely as to induce them to become the parents they used to be when Marel was still with us.

And who was I to deprive them of that?

We kept what happened a secret. I stopped trying to become Marel. My life, from the outside, looked perfectly all right, except that it wasn’t. Most times, I pretended to be happy and fine just to shut everyone up from staring quite too long and whispering behind my back.

During moments of isolation, I reflected that there was something out there that we could never understand, and had not since the beginning of time. Marel’s body was still missing. As I closed my eyes and contemplate, I knew that he was dead. I just knew, no questions asked. Marel Connelly was dead.

Even though the eyes vanished, I still got chills whenever the floor boards creak in the middle of the night. I’d get up and pace around my room, just to bring my heart rate back to normal. The feeling of being observed and watched was never truly and completely gone, and was bound to stay with me forever.

River and I, as predicted, grew very much apart. We never talked or saw each other in the course of the months. I avoided coming to his job, something that puzzled my parents and contributed to their growing concern for me. River never came to visit me either; the hospital duty I decided to keep for it gave me an excuse to stay away from home and a reason to keep my mind off of things, thus securing my sanity intact. I’d be lying if I say that I was getting accustomed to the changes. River Henders was the only one that really understood me, and supported me, apart from my brother. Maybe he had his reasons. I couldn’t be so sure.

The walk from our house to school was long, but the cool air and beautiful scenery was too good to be wasted in the blur of a speeding car window. I inhaled deeply, almost tasting the smell of the browning and falling leaves on my tongue. The breeze was minty and biting as it ruffled my hair and caressed my exposed skin. It felt refreshing. I felt great.

As I entered the school gates, another gust of wind rushed by, bringing with it dried leaves and a piece of paper. I kneeled, picked it up, and examined it. I let a small smile play in my lips. Looking ahead, the Angels of Appleton were perched to the side of the school front door, busy handing out, yet again, flyers. Today’s topic was about bullying.