1 | Death's Touch

Kou Empire's princesses and princes were well known throughout the nations and were more famous than the last. However, there was one princess who wasn't as recognised as the others; or it was more like she couldn't be seen by anyone besides them. For it worried them that the mere sight of her would invoke fear unto the people.

She was the Kou Empire's pitiful princess Sera.

Not that her brothers and sisters didn't care for her; they did. It was just that they had the duty to protect their people and their homelands. And they wished to protect her, from the outside world and herself.

The only people who knew of her existence were the Elders of Kou and the imperial family.

There was to be a meeting between the elders of Kou and the royal siblings to handle imperial matters. Sera was, of course, present despite it being against the wishes of the council representatives.

This was because of her rumoured powers. Ones that brought death to the person who came into contact with her. That was what they were, though, rumours and not true. Her power wasn't as deadly as people first thought, but they were ones she didn't want, nor what she had asked to be born with.

Although, even if this was the case, it was the first time that they had allowed the pitiful princess to sit in on the meeting. Her family had rejected it at first, but she was unrelenting and they gave in. Despite everything, they were doting on their sister, and couldn't reject her when she used the puppy dog eyes.

Nobody had seen what she looked like before now and her being present for the first time interested the Fallen Magi, who had snuck into the meeting.

It wasn't just her beauty that evoked Judar's interest, because that was undoubtedly what she was, beautiful. With ethereal facial features, and long cherry blossom pink hair that fell in waves down her back. In appearance alone, she looked flawless and from looking at her - as she was now - no one would know the darkness that lurked inside.

The eyes are the window to our souls, so the saying goes, which was correct in this instance. Most people couldn't understand the pitiful princess' true character, but Judar could tell from just one look at them charming pink eyes that something was sleeping within her; just lying, waiting for the optimal opportunity to strike.

It interested him. She interested him.

With these thoughts in mind, he settled his arms on the back of Hakuryuu's chair and whispered low in his ear, "so that's the 'Hidden Princess,' huh?" He had a twinkle in his eye that was visible to the prince before him, one that Hakuryuu recognised and he tried to discourage him.

"Judar, stop thinking whatever it is you're thinking," Hakuryuu hissed back at the Fallen Magi. "Sera is hidden for a reason. Not only for herself but for others as well."

"Don't worry 'your highness' I'm not thinking of doing anything... Yet." Judar smirked knowingly. "But why is she hidden? It's a shame to hide a princess like her." He looked her up and down with an appraising eye, and he liked what he saw.

If what could be seen on the surface appeared so beautiful, then that could only mean what lay underneath could only be even more so. Despite the efforts of Prince Hakuryuu trying to change his mind about getting to know the princess, Judar couldn't keep thoughts of Sera away. She only intrigued him more and more.

It was truly the case that as Hakuryuu's personal Magi; it gave him a lot of freedom around the palace, but some things were kept from him. Things concerning Sera were amongst them.

He kept his eyes on her, as his ears perked up at Hakuryuu's words. "I'm sure you've overheard the people around the palace talking about a girl with strange and deadly powers, right?"

Judar simply nodded once.

"It might be true that Sera possesses certain powers that could be seen that way, however, they aren't as deadly as people make them out to be," Hakuryuu explained, "since she was born Sera has had a fiery temper and a sharp one at that. Things would wither around her when she got angry: plants, trees, and even some animals have died from being near her."

He paused for a moment and then continued, "for fear that she could do the same with humans, she has been secluded in the palace and forbidden from leaving, since she was young. We are the only ones who know of her existence and, for the time being, that is how it shall be."

A power that deadly? Judar smirked once more. Sure, she could be a danger to those around her, but if they hold her back from doing certain things, they would only dampen her potential. If she could only hone her power and train it, she could do anything. What other powers did she possess? What would happen if that darkness she kept well concealed came out?

Judar couldn't wait to find out.

"Another thing might interest you in particular." Hakuryuu sighed when he recognised the look that had come over Judar's face. "Sera has another power..."

"She can manipulate the Rukh around her and others, making them do her bidding. Anything is possible when she controls the Rukh." He shifted in his seat and lowered his voice further to not disturb the meeting. "The powers are also connected somehow, as she can end someone or something's life by taking away the Rukh they possess. Although these are the only powers we know of. Who knows what else she can do?"

"Haven't you ever tried to find out?"

"When we were young, yes. But there was a particular incident that occurred, which traumatised her." Hakuryuu looked at his sister with concern in his eyes. "It might seem cruel to lock her up in the palace, but there was no other way. She was so badly hurt back then that we didn't want what occurred to do so again. Until we are ready, not until she is ready. This is where she will stay. Here she is safe and here we can watch over her."

Once the meeting was over, the princesses and princes left the room, one at a time. Sera was being led away by a sole attendant; one that had stayed with her since she was young. With down-trodden eyes, she followed behind the attendant as they made their way back to her chambers.

She had a part of the castle to herself, and it was at the far back of the castle. Her brothers and sisters would visit her often, so she wouldn't get lonely. Today was a silent day, and Sera felt the loneliness creeping up on her; it involved all of her efforts just to keep it at bay.

The attendant opened the door to her bedroom for her to enter, and then left to get a light snack that could be eaten before dinner was served.

Sera sighed and stood before the window that looked out onto the courtyard. Trees of all kinds surrounded her residence, and they hid the kingdom of Kou from view.

Peach trees were also scattered about the courtyard, and once ripe, Sera enjoyed plucking them. She had a fondness for them.

As she was staring at the world outside her window, she jumped back in surprise. Staring into her pink eyes were a pair of red ones.