Read My Lips: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

With that he walked away. I stared after his retreating figure when I felt a hand on my chin and my face was moved to look up at Zach.

"What happened?" He asked me with a serious expression.

I really wanted to tell him why they were doing that to me. Why everyone laughed at me. But by the looks of it, he didn't know I was deaf and I wanted to keep it that way. It was nice having one, well three, people at school who didn't know what was wrong and treated me like a normal person.

I didn't want to risk telling Zach and him thinking differently of me and then treating me differently. I liked the way he already acted around me.

But at the same time, I wanted to tell him before someone else did. What if it hurt him that someone else told him something that should have been up to me to tell?

Then there was the chance that he already knew. That he knew I was deaf and it didn't bother him so he treated me normally and never brought it up.

Fingers snapped in front of my face snapping me out of my thoughts. "What's wrong?" Zach asked.

"Nothing, I just thinking." I smiled up at him.

"Are you sure?" He asked, a concerned look on his face. It was cute that he cared about me. I liked it. A lot.

"I sure, let go." I grinned, grabbing his arm and turning around dragging me with him. Whether he talked to me again, I don't know. But I continued dragging him with me anyway.

         Once again at lunch, I was joined by Zach, Ryan and Dan. It was kind of becoming a routine. I'd be sat at the back of the room, by myself, minding my own business and the three of them would arrive and join me. Depending on Ryan's mood, sometimes it would only be me and Zach.

It was nice though. Not that I'd ever tell the trio, but I loved their company. I loved having someone I could spend my lunch time with.  

"So, what happened with Amy and Luke this morning?" Ryan asked after gaining my attention. He shoved a fork full of his lunch in his mouth whilst he waited for my reply.

"Er, I not know. She just a bitch." I simply replied. They didn't know I was deaf yet (which was incredibly surprising) so making up that excuse seemed like the best reply. Amy was a bitch anyway so it would make sense.

Ryan looked at me strangely. "Really?" He asked. He didn't seem convinced by my reply.

"Yep." I said simply whilst popping the 'p'. I looked down at my lunch and proceeded to eat so I wouldn't know what they were saying.

Something shoving my shoulder made me exchange my attention from my lunch to Zach who was sat beside me.

"You're in a daze." Zach laughed. He moved his chair closer to mine and slung his arm over my shoulder.   

"What you doing?" I asked staring at him, my eyes wide. Why was he putting his arm around me?

He grinned down at me, his eyes gleaming. "What does it look like? I'm putting my arm around you."

I'm assuming one of the other boys said something to him because he turned around and said something back. However, because of the angle he was at, I couldn't see his face to read his lips.

Turning around to face Dan and Ryan, all I saw was a successful smirk on their lips; which only made me more confused. Confused, I turned back to face Zach but he was still glaring across at the two other boys.  I shrugged my shoulders before continuing with the rest of my dinner. Zach's arm still slung over my shoulder as though I was his own arm rest.