Chapter 2: Lights Out

"Take apart your bones and put 'em back together

Tell your mama that you're somebody new

Feel the breeze blowin', tell 'em all 'Look out, here it comes'

Now I can say whatever I feel like to you," My raspy voice singing St. James Infirmary Blues is all that can be heard aside from the blank shuffling of shoes as we all move to keep a view on the windows. As I finish off my little verse I become aware of a warm presence right next to me. I look up to see Michael staring down at me, gun held tightly in both hands.

"Talented singer," he murmurs into my ear.

"Thanks." I nod back in response, slightly unnerved by his closeness.

"It's a shame, singing wont save you." He turns away again, pacing with his crystalline blue eyes glued to the window.

"Actually," I chuckle, "It just might."

"What do you mean?" Charlie asks from behind the counter. I turn to glance at her, for a moment pitying her and the baby.

"Well, it calms me. If I get too worked up i'll loose focus and then one of those things might get the upper hand on me," My words some out as a sigh towards the end as I stretch my sore muscles.

"Says the one with a gram of blow in her fuckin' pocket." Mumbles Kyle as he checks out the outside through the blinds.

"Yeah? Criticize someone who cares, dude." I huff, glancing around at everyone in the dimly lit diner.

"He's right, Ellis. If we make it out of this, I'm sending you to rehab." Sandra calls out from the booth where she lay watching over Howard.

"Will y'all just get off my case. None of that is important right-" I'm abruptly cut off mid sentence by the power shutting off, leaving us in complete darkness.

"Look out here it comes." I mutter, repeating a line from the song I had been singing earlier.

"Everybody stay calm!" Percy whispers. Shuffling can be heard then finally theres a little bit of light as Bob flicks on a flashlight.

"Okay so were locked in here, what the fuck are we doing now?" Kyle asks Michael in annoyance. The blonde doesn't answer, instead he just stares up at the ceiling.

Moments later Bob, Kyle, Michael, Percy, and I are all climbing up through a hatch onto the roof. As I step onto the metal roof Michael is quick to place a hand against my shoulder to stop me.

"No, you're staying down their with your family. Go." His voice is soft but stern, and his eyes ere unyielding in intensity even in the dark.

"The fuck I am. I'm staying up here." My voice is stern as well, forceful and stubborn as I push past him and to the railing where everyone else stands.

"Alright, Rambo, you got us up here. Now do you mind tellin' us what we're fighting?" Bobs voice seems to carry, even over the wind, but there's another noise that stands out as well.

"Listen!" I hiss, and all goes silent save for the faint twinkling of music in the distance. My brows knot together in confusion and I'm guessing i'm not the only.

"You hearing what i'm hearing?" Percy asks, glancing back at me.

"What the hell is that?" The diner owner inquiries.

"The Turkey In The Straw." I mutter, though odds are no one heard it.

"It sounds almost like...Ice Cream?" Kyle states, and everyone tries to catch a glimpse down the road. Coming from the same direction as the tune I can just barely see a faint pair of headlights in the distance.