Chapter 6

Week five was coming to an end and there hadn't been another letter. There had been a two minute phone call at nine in the morning. Of course, Alex wasn't at the Delancey house when it came, but Mandy did her best to ensure Alex that Roman sounded fantastic.

Melani dragged Alex everywhere imaginable, but nothing was distracting him anymore. He felt lethargic and misplaced. Roman's voice didn't put him to sleep at night and the world was dull. Melani tried to talk about starting college and the trouble they would stir up, but he couldn't even fake a smile, not after years of making those same plans with another person.

Rumors had begun to spread around their town in recent weeks. Ones that suggested something had happened before Roman had left; something that would change everything. Melani told him to ignore the rumors and he tried; he really did, but they would creep in at night.

He continued sending his letters, adding in random smiley faces and any bits of information he could think of. For an entire page he talked about a movie he had watched while another letter was simply a few sentences that told Roman that everyone was thinking about him and hoped he was well; and of course how proud Alex was.

It seemed the knowing that Roman would be home soon was worse than when he had left. When Roman had left, there was the promise that Alex would see him soon, if only for a short time. He knew that when Roman left this time, there were no more promises. It seemed that just when he thought something couldn't hurt more, it did.

"Alex, can you grab the ketchup for me please?" Mandy called from the dining room. It was the Delancey's night to host their family dinner. Prior to Roman leaving the dinners had happened once or twice a month, but now they were twice a week; once at his parents and the other at Roman's. Alex had a nagging suspicion it was more for his benefit than anything.

He was shaking the cold plastic bottle when the phone began to ring. He heard Mandy's feet slapping against the hardwood as she ran for the phone and he heard her loud squeal before his name was being called-- Mandy telling him to run. His heart pounded in his chest and he felt tears burning his tired eyes before he even said hello.

"Ro," he breathed. He was greeted with a chuckle that sent chills down his spine.

"How are you? I've only got a few minutes and I haven't heard your voice in so long, talk to me."

Alex sucked in a large gulp of air and clenched his jaw, determined not to cry over something so small. "I'm okay. Your mom made me meatloaf and Mel's finally deemed someone worthy of her time. She's on a date with a guy she met at the mall." He tried to laugh, but only a small hiccupped breath came out.

"It's okay, Exi. Everything's fine. I'll be there soon. Very soon," Roman said softly, reassuring.

"I know. I'm okay." Alex wasn't sure if he was telling Roman or himself, but either way it failed miserably. "Are you okay? Is it everything you dreamed of?" This time Roman laughed genuinely; a healthy, hearty laugh.

"It's something, Brat. I have to go, but I'll write soon, I promise. Just keep writing me, okay?"

"I will," Alex promised. "Hey Ro? I love you." The words came out as a whisper, like he was too afraid for anyone to hear, but he needed to say them. He needed Roman to hear them so maybe the sadness in his voice would go away; so that maybe, just maybe Roman would say them back and it would lessen the ache. There was a low sniff and a sigh.

"I love you too. I'll talk to you soon." Alex stared at the silent phone after the line went dead. He could have been standing there for seconds or hours before someone took the phone from his hand and put it back on the base. Long fingers gently wrapped around his wrist and pulled him back to the kitchen where everyone minus Melani was waiting patiently.