|1.|

Jo's POV

"Big crash behind you. 48, 14, 10. Turn 5." Aaron Nots my spotter says. I drive the number 55 car for Joe Gibbs Racing. Yeah, I do get a lot of crap from being a girl driver, but I don't care. I'm gonna do what's best for me. And that is driving a race car.

"10-4." I reply, shifting gears, and speeding up to catch my teammate Kyle Busch, who is in the first position. I am in 3rd.

"Hey Aaron, any possible way to get around the 2? I'm tried of riding behind his ass." I say angrily.

"It sounds like his crew chief is planning on pitting next lap. tire issue." Aaron says. "10-4." I say and can't wait for the next lap. Mostly to get away from the number 2.

I start to see smoke coming from Brad's tire. "Shit shit! Fall back Jo!!" Aaron says and by that point, Brad has already spun and took me into the wall.

Damn it. I hate him so much. We both pull onto pit road, both of our cars totaled.

I get out of my car and so does he. "Are you kidding me? This is the 3rd time that you have wrecked me. 3rd time this fucking year!" I yell at Brad.

"Maybe if you wouldn't ride my ass so much, you wouldn't be there!" Brad yells back. "I'm gonna get you back! Just wait!" I yell waking to my hauler.
"I would say I was sorry, but I would be lying!!" Brad yells.

"Damn it!" I yell out in frustration.

When the race is over, Kyle won, and I was happy for him.

I decide to walk to my garage, and see my crew chief Jamy. "Hey Jo! Car is getting fixed. Should be fixed before practice." He says. "Okay. Thanks!" I smile and walk out.

A few hours later, after Kyle's party, I go to my camper, and there is a knock at the door.

"Hey Denny! Come in!" I say and Denny Hamlin, my other teammate comes in and sits on the couch.

"So vent to me about what went through your mind when Brad spun out and hit you." Denny says. "Wow. Last time I checked, you Ain't a reporter, you're a race car driver." I laugh.

"Yes. And I am also your best friend, so lay it on me." Denny says.

"Okay well I hope that son of a bitch doesn't get into the chase because I can't stand his ass. Me, You, Kyle, Matt, and Carl should be there. The only people who belong in victory lane are JGR. I'm not tryna be bias, but what the heck. Our cars are the fastest. But as far as BK goes, screw him." I say and Denny is chuckling.

"Yeah. I am so glad I brought you into racing with me. It took me long enough, but it worked! Even though I've been racing for 10 years, you've been racing for 8." Denny says.

"Yeah well, growing up with your ass sure wasn't easy." I laugh. He flips me off.

Yeah, Denny and I grew up together being best friends, and I don't think I could ask for anyone else to fill that gap.

"Okay, I just got a message from Kyle and he wants you & I to go out to dinner with him tonight. You in?" Denny asks me. "Yeah. Sure. Where we going?" I ask.

"Uh, he just said that we are going to a burger joint. Nothin fancy." Denny says. "Okay. Thank God. Didn't feel like dressin up. I'm gonna kick you out now so I can get ready. What time?" I ask last second.

"He said an hour. And we gotta meet him at his camper." Den says. "Okay. See you losers soon." I laugh and lock the door behind Denny.

I go to my closet and pick out a plain grey tshirt and skinny jeans, and pick out a pair of black converse and fix my hair and call it a day.

When I look at the clock, it says 7:56 pm. Oh God. I have 4 minutes to walk next door..what shall I do? I laugh to myself.

I walk to Kyle's RV and pound on the door. I hear movement and see Kyle when he opens the door.

"Hey Jo! Come in. Denny is being a pain in my ass. Help a brother out." Kyle laughs. "This was your idea. You take care of the creep." I laugh. Kyle shakes his head and Denny comes out.

"So, you driving Rowdy?" I ask. "I guess. I am just a personal taxi to you." Kyle smiles. "Once again, you invited us. Your responsibility. Besides, I don't know Vegas as well as you do." I say.

"No one does, well, besides Kurt." Kyle says and we take off in Kyle's truck.

We arrive at a burger place and we go in and get a table.

"Dining with the paparazzi tonight y'all." Denny laughs. "Joy joy." I say sarcastically. People are asking for pictures and autographs left and right. Finally, our food arrives and people let us eat.

"So Jo, how does it feel to have a rival?" Kyle asks and I almost choke on my food, while he asked the question so nonchalantly.

"Like complete shit, to be completely honest." I say. "Just wait for another one. There is a sign up sheet in the break room to be your rival." Denny laughs.

I roll my eyes at his comment. "I've had so many I can't even remember all of them." Kyle says.

"Can we please talk about something else? I'm gettin pissed real fast." I say.

"Yeah. I wonder if Gibbs realizes he has a team of hot heads." Kyle says. "Cheers to that." Denny says and we put our beers in and clink the glasses.

After we eat, Kyle takes us back to our RVs.

"Next stop...PHOENIX BABY!" Denny yells before he gets into his RV.

"HEY HAMLIN! NO SHIT!" Carl Edwards, our other teammate says. Kyle and I immediately start laughing.

"Why the heck are you siting outside at 10:00 by yourself in the dark?" Kyle asks Carl.

"Just cause I felt like looking at the track." Carl says. "More like you have no life." I say laughing. "Shut it Jo." Carl laughs.

I look over to Denny who is still laughing from the comment that Carl made.

"Pretty sure you just made Denny's day." Kyle laughs. "Good." Carl says.

I go into my camper and crash on the bed. I am so tired. This weekend has been so exhausting. I don't know how Kyle can race the XFINITY series, NCWTS, and the Sprint Cup series.

The next morning, I am heading home to Oklahoma City. I mostly choose to drive instead of fly because I love driving the open road.

I love it in OKC because it has a balance of country and city. Denny and I are from Savannah, Georgia. We both moved there for different reasons, and he is actually from Virginia. Since it is so close to South Carolina, Denny and I used to go down there once a month to go see drag races. Those were the days.

I blast the song "Talladega" by Eric Church. I love that song with a passion. It never will get old.

It is 1:57 am and I am so tired, I pull over into a rest stop and shut my eyes for a while. I wake up around 4:30 am and feel refreshed. I guess I'm doing decent on time because according to the road sign, I just entered Oklahoma.

A few hours later, I arrive at my home of 10 years. I am so happy, I literally park my truck, grab my bags and run to my front door.

When I go in, something feels just...off. I walk upstairs to my room and put my bags down. I change my clothes also because I feel gross.

I change into joggers and a #55 Wal-Mart car shirt. Yeah, my car. I don't mind wearing what I drive. So what?

I go downstairs and hear a noise come from the kitchen.