Chapter 1

"Come on, we don't wanna be late because of you." Dani says and helps me put on my jacket.

"Coming from the boy who waited in the bathroom for twenty minutes before deciding to ask me for my shampoo." I ruffle his hair and he kisses me on the cheek.

"Well now my hair smells like kiwi melon." My mom tosses Daniel the keys then jogs upstairs. We go to meet Dev and Kev outside.

"See, that could be you Kev buh you playin'." Dev points to us. Kevin punches him in the arm.

"I'll ask Dinah out when I got the coolest idea. I would of done it earlier but stupid over here had to ask Cassie over a mall speaker. How am I gonna top that?"

"Sorry, I'm too charming,"He rubs his chin and squints his eyes with a flirty smile. "I can't help it." He winks at me and I giggle. Kevin waves him off and walks to the car. Daniel opens the car and we all get in. My mom bought a bigger car a few weeks ago, she said she wants to drive us around more because we're funny she claims.

"You ready for your first day of school, kids?" Devin says in a funny voice. Dinah sits in the passenger seat and Tati sits next to Kev in the back. My mom locks the door and starts the car.

"Here we go." She backs out the driveway.

• • • • • 20 minutes later

"Have an amazing day, guys!" My mom blows kisses then drives off. Daniel takes my hand and we walk through the doors. All eyes are on us. The one thing I thought wouldn't happen.

"Why is everyone staring?" I whisper to him.

"I guess I would say I'm popular and I went here since I was a freshman." He whispers back and I nod. "And I'm walking in here holding hands with you, a new kid. They're just curious." He shrugs it off but I'm a little panicked. What if I get jumped? I bet more than half the school likes him. "We going to the gym to get our schedules." He snaps me out of my thoughts. We walk into the gym and people still continue to stare.

"Last name?" The lady asks.

"Felsa."

"Umm, which one is your first name?"

"Cassandra."

"Here you go, Cassandra." She hands me my schedule. "Daniel Veda." She starts looking through the papers. "Have a good summer?"

"It was too lit, Mrs.Castillo." Daniel tells her.

"Good for you." She gives his schedule. "Wait, Veda, is this your girlfriend?" She grins.

"Yes she is, future Mrs.Sepulveda right here." He says kinda loud and a few people quickly turn to see. Then they start whispering and glancing.

"Death trap with this niño, he flaunts everything. Gonna get you killed out here." She nods at Daniel who's minding himself head nodding. "I need to have a talk with this loco boy." She laughs. "Well have a nice day, you two."

"Bye, Mrs.Castillo." I wave and so does Daniel.

"Let's see what periods we have together." He takes my paper and examines it. "Math, History, and Study Hour. So that's second, third, and sixth period."

"Ayo, lemme see your schedule." Kev walks over. Dani hands our schedules to him and he looks through. "I'm in all your classes. D.Gord! What classes you got?" He yells to Devin and he walks over. They look over the schedule and do a bro handshake.

"Tati Baby got the same classes, too." Dev says as Tati and D walk over. Dinah looks over my schedule.

"Same classes with Cassie." She puts an arm around me.

"Let me walk you guys to class." Dani takes my hand. We start walking but Kev catches up.

"I'ma walk, too." He winks at D and she blushes like she does every single time he winks at her. I can't believe he still hasn't asked her out yet. Like really Kev? Damn, the girl has been waiting for months, for real. He needa stop playing before these guys catch her.

"Oh my god." Daniel rolls his eyes.

"What?"

"Alyssa Mulatto in your class." I follow his eyes and see a girl down the hall talking in front of a classroom door. She's with two other people but catches your eye first. She stops talking to look at me and I panic so I look at Daniel. He grabs my cheeks and kisses me for a few seconds. "She gotta know you mine, and not something she should mess with." He whispers. "Bye baby." He says kinda loud then walks away.

"See ya, Dinah." Kev glances at me nervously then leaves with Daniel. They all silently stare as we walk in and we take a seat near the back. The classroom has circle tables with five chairs around.

"Bruh, they intimidating as hell. They eyes maced." Dinah gets the chills and I laugh.

"So cute, you starting to sound like KevieKev." I tease her and she rolls her eyes. "We only have three classes with everyone else."

"At least I got you though." Dinah smiles.

"The little Mulatto circle crew or whatever, come take a seat." The teacher says. Alyssa and her two friends walk in and sit right at our table. She smiles and head nods at us. We awkwardly head nod back and she laughs. Even her laugh is intimidating.

"My name's Alyssa, this Shania, and this Trinity. You must be Cassandra, and what's your name?"

"Dinah."

"I love the red in your hair." Trinity touches her hair.

"Thanks." Dinah smiles.

"You're the one dating D.Veda, right?" Alyssa asks out of nowhere. What do I say? What if she's his ex and still claims him or something? What if she hates me because I'm dating him? I don't know what to say. I mean should I lie? What if she knows I'm lying and I look stupid for lying? "Umm, hello?" She snaps me back to reality then laughs. "You his bae or not?"

"Yes...." I say slowly.

"Ok," She laughs at my nervousness. "finally."

"You guys are cute together." Shania says. Trinity and Alyssa glance at her then smile at me.

"To be honest, y'all are. I'm not gonna lie, you know." Alyssa turns her chair towards the teacher with her back to the table. This is gonna be a long period.