Chapter 31: A Great Protector

Joey's POV:

My whole body shakes with the trauma of what I just did. The bloody knife slips from my hand and crashes to the floor.

"I-I killed him." I say.

I look at the knife. I see my reflection in it, surrounded in the blood from Carlos' body. My crazed eyes, my bruises.

I killed a person.

"Joey, it's going to be okay." Bethany says, trying to calm me.

"I killed him! You try to live with that!" I shout at her.

My vision goes black around the edges. I slip to the ground and my eyes close.

Bethany's POV:

Joey falls to the ground in a heap. I rush over to him but he's just unconscious. I pick up the phone and dial 911. I tell them where I am and what my emergency is.

When the paramedics arrive, they put Carlos in the ambulance and help me with Joey.

"He's just unconscious. Probably just traumatized. Make sure he drinks lots of water when he wakes up." One of the paramedics says.

"Thank you for your help." I say, shaking his hand.

When they leave I drag Joey to a chair. It's probably not the most effective way to move him, but I can't do anything else and I don't want to just leave him on the floor.

Once I pull him up on the chair I pour him a glass of water and put it on the table by the chair for when he wakes up. I sit on the couch by the chair to wait for him to wake up. It seems like forever. I look at the clock and its 1 in the afternoon. Hours after the paramedics left. I make myself a sandwich and sit back down by Joey. Finally he starts to move. His eyes flutter open. He looks confused for a moment, then a tear runs down his cheek.

"Joey! Is something wrong?" I exclaim.

"I-I killed a person." Joey says through his tears.

Wow. This is really getting to Joey.

"Joey, he didn't die. The paramedics took him to the hospital." I say, stroking his back.

He looks up at me with his big green eyes, bloodshot from his tears.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yes." I feel like I'm his mom, reassuring him.

He just nods in response. He pulls his knees up to his chest and puts his head on his hands. I feel so bad, just watching him have an emotional breakdown. I lift his head from his hands and I start to lean in to kiss him, but he beats me to it by quickly pulling me close to him. He slams his lips into mine, and puts his hands on my cheeks while we kiss. It lasts a while. We kiss until we both need air and when we pull away from each other he presses his forehead on mine. I watch as a single tear runs down his cheek.

"I-I could have lost you. You could have died. I'm no protector. I'm just...weak." He says, letting his tears fall onto his lap.

"No! Don't say that!" I say, putting my hands on his cheeks, wiping away his tears. "You are a GREAT protector. You saved me from him, didn't you? And your not weak! You are an amazing boyfriend." I encourage him. I give him a hug and whisper in his ear. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says.

He cradles me in his lap and we sit for a while in silence. Before I know it my eyes are feeling heavy and eventually when I blink my eyes don't reopen, and I fall asleep.

So guys...I've decided I'm only gonna post one chapter a day. I used to do two, but it gets intense in the next chapters and I like cliffhangers!

Hope you like it! Thanks for reading!

Instagram: joey_g_fanpage_anya