Chapter 10: Because He Cares

Bethany's POV:

Ingrid and I rush out of the ambulance and into the emergency wing. I see them wheeling Joey away, doctors surrounding him. I see his face, bled white and the blood from his head matting his hair and staining the pristine white stretcher. I try to run to him but a nurse pulls me back.

"You can't see him now. He is in need of emergency care." She says.

"But what if-" I start.

"I know. But he needs to be stabilized before he can be seen." She interrupts.

Not being able to see Joey angers me. He could be dying, breathing his last breath and I can't even say goodbye. Once again the tears well up in my eyes but this time I let them fall. I turn around and Ingrid is in on the phone, still in tears. She hangs up with the person she was talking to and dials another number.

"Can you please direct me to a restroom?" I ask the nurse.

"Down the hall, last door on the left." She tells me.

"Thank you." I say as I head down that way.

I try not to look into the rooms on my way to the restroom. I see the door to the restroom and run to it. I look into the mirror. My makeup is running, my eyes puffy and bloodshot. My hair has come undone and is a tangled mess. The worst is the fact that my clothes are covered in blood. Joey's blood. Realizing this sends me completely over the edge. I start to hyperventilate, soaking down paper towels and trying to rid my clothes of the metallic smell of the blood. Realizing this does no good, I collapse onto the ground, rocking back and forth. I don't know how long I sit there. Maybe 30 minutes, maybe 45. I calm down enough and just sit there, thinking about Joey. He saved my life. It could be me in his place right now if he hadn't pushed me out of the way. But why would he let that happen to himself instead of me? I don't know what to think about Joey's actions, only that he did it because he cares about me. I stand up slowly and open the door to the bathroom. I walk down the hallway back to where Ingrid is sitting, this time taking my time. I glance into the window of the room to my right. Which is a mistake. It just so happens to be Joey's room.

Poor Joey! Thanks for reading!

Instagram: joey_g_fanpage_anya