Chapter 2

There goes my weekend, enjoy guys 😊

************************

It's been long. Too long. In fact, she hasn't left since my few days in Montana. It's been almost a full week and she hasn't left, nor has she even stepped past the wards. If I wanted to, I could compel the humans to break the wards and we could all attack. That would be too risky, though, as we're clearly out-numbered. After working in that Academy for over a year, I gained some inside knowledge on their defences. And I'd have to give them credit, they are very well resourced. Dangerously armed.
I didn't want to risk us all, not when the odds aren't in our favour. Also, I wasn't sure whether the Strigoi from Montana were actually skilled enough to be useful. I'd need time to assess that, from their behaviour. I was becoming very impatient. My letter may have scared her too much, I considered with bitter humour, even though I knew that wasn't the case. She's badass, and she knows it very well. After the graduation, she'll be much more challenging. I suspect she may have already graduated, since the Academy usually did those ceremonies at this time of year. I look forward to when we meet again. I thought back to my last encounter with Rose in Novosibirsk, it felt like a very long time ago.
If they'd still assign her as Vasilissa's guardian, they'd have to move into the Royal Court, which had even stronger defences. I'd have no chance of ending Rose, if they choose to stay there. I know them, they wouldn't want that. Yet I couldn't be certain. I was well aware of my own skill and strength, but even I can't take stand against their defences without dying in the process. In that time she sets foot out of those damned wards, I'd have to strike. Or I won't be able to at all.
Instead of just humans, I started to order the Strigoi to watch the Academy, alongside the humans. By now, they've learnt to respect me and my orders, so they obeyed, regardless of whether they wanted to or didn't. They could properly scope the area, and not miss a thing, thanks to our heightened senses. I had only one shot at this, at least. Two, if I'm lucky. I had to be careful, with Rose, extremely vigilant. Sure I could kill Rose in seconds, if that was my motive, but she could take me down. She was capable, possibly more than that, which was daunting. It didn't scare me. After all, my new and enhanced abilities as a Strigoi make me stronger, it was just alarming.
Axel stood next to me, his eyebrows were furrowed in thought. He was a little shorter than me, with dark hair that framed his strong features. The 'ex-dhampir' turned to glance at me with those one blue eyes, now ringed with a gleaming red. He was only new to the estate, and awakening, since I had turned him a few days back. Already, he had a growing reputation here. It reminded me of myself. As I presumed, he was extremely fond of his new life, it was just obvious. Threats weren't even needed, he felt eternally in-debt to me and he was respectful. Even after a few short days of his awakening, I knew I didn't make a mistake. He's like the perfect asset, and rarely caused any sort of trouble.
Well, trouble on extreme levels, like killing another Strigoi. He was often cruel, perceptive and craved violence. And he has quite the temper, just like the rest of us. Just like the rest of us Strigoi. It was normal, and tolerable. It isn't like I could change that, and I am thankful for it. If he (and all of my Strigoi) weren't all those things, what would that make them? Moroi? What use would an army of Moroi be to me---?
"How are you going to take her down?" Axel suddenly pointed out.
"She'll have back up," I stated, though lost in my own thoughts. "A few other guardian graduates." I was referring to her school friend, Eddie Castile. A recent graduate like Rose, qualified to protect Moroi, he was almost as skilled.
"We'll be there to stop her. I'll take care of her whilst the rest will handle any other potential threats." I said, as if I've said so a million times. "Her main target will be me, she's going to try to kill me. The others won't matter to her as much." I almost scoffed at that last part, she'll never succeed. But Rose is naive, and reckless, and stubborn. Her guardian training's the only thing keeping her alive, it helped her escape the trouble her nature caused, such as the fight in Siberia. Except this time, when we fight again, she can't be helped.
"So what are we waiting for?" He paused. "Of course, the wards will be a problem. You're waiting till she steps out of them." It was a statement, not a question. Regardless, I answered it anyway.
"Yes." I mumbled. And yet again, I wasn't in any state of mind to process his words.
"You really know what you're up against, don't you?" He was curious of my relationship with Rose.
"I know that woman too well." I admitted, avoiding eye contact. "Taking her down won't be much of an issue."
"With your great power, you're sure to win against her." He commented. I felt a smug sense of satisfaction at that. Hearing it from another person, it's pleasing to know how valuable my power has become.
Wordlessly, I sat at my desk and picked up a pen. I stared at it, and twisted it between my fingers. Waiting. I was becoming increasingly bored, here in Montana. The more I wait, the more I'd feel anxious. Rose was out there, with assets of her own. There's something else either bothering her, or she really was hiding. Even then, she is getting stronger each day. I have to strike at the first chance I get.
And when I do, only one of us would leave alive. I'll make sure that person is me. Weighing out the chances of my survival, the odds were clearly on my side. When I had been a mortal, we were an even match. Well, almost. My experiences with fighting Strigoi put me slightly ahead. My Strigoi abilities made things better for me.
Then why do I worry? Why does the mere thought of our fight cause me to flinch? If I'm that capable of taking down Rose, why do I need back up? That woman puts me on edge, she makes me question whether I would survive this time, like I had done at the river Ob. I didn't like to be like this, I feel powerless. Like a coward. I should stop worrying, I have an army, a Strigoi army to help me end her and what does she have? A guardian? Two guardians? She should be the one to fear me.
Out of curiosity, and boredom, I reached for the phone and dialled a number. "Anything happen?"
"No, sir. She hasn't left the Academy yet." The human spoke softly, fear and worry laced his words. I would most likely feel the same, if I was a weak little human. Because in his position, he had something worth taking concern in: his pathetic existence. If he fails, I'll kill them. All the humans with my order to obey. And they knew that very well. Galina had promised their awakening for their loyalty, but I had changed that. The death threats were much more effective, the humans worked quicker and didn't dare to disobey.
Inna, a human servant, had asked to leave. Where had that gotten her? I killed her, drained her dry. None of the human servants had the guts to even try to escape, not after knowing this.
"Did anything unusual happen?" It seemed pointless to ask, but I did so anyway.
There was a few long seconds, before he spoke. "A large group of Moroi and dhampirs took off on an aeroplane. They looked quite young." That wasn't, in any way, pointless to ask. I almost dropped the phone. No, actually, I did. It slipped through my fingers, before I caught it mid air, inches away from the ground.
Why hadn't I considered this before? I was almost certain Rose was there. After graduation, the students could freely live their own lives. The princess was destined to inhabit the Royal Court, temporarily at least. Of course they'd travel there. It only seemed like a 'Rose' thing to do. The safest place against the Strigoi, with the most wanted Moroi on the planet. It only makes sense!
"Shit," I muttered in Russian, cursing under my breath. They're leaving to get to the Royal Court, there was no other explanation for it. I suppose they could have gone on holiday, but I'm pretty sure my threats have been enough to make her instinctively move out, where it was much safer. They come first. Rose was doing her best to follow that rule. Remaining at the Academy would mean she's putting her own needs first. She couldn't do that now, not as a dhampir, she can't.
My silence only made the human uncomfortable, I could practically hear his thudding heartbeat through the cell phone. Axel could, no doubt, hear it too. And every other word exchanged on the phone. If he really did, he didn't show it. He watched, keeping his thoughts to himself. He probably has worked in the Royal Court before, a skilled guardian was only fit to protect a royal.
I should have known she'd go there, I should have. Now I may never get the chance to rid her! I can't lavish every moment in power if she's still alive. I may have lost my one chance, but she can't hide there forever. And if I do remember correctly, the princess had wanted to go to college, away from the Royal Court. Once she's out of those wards, I will hunt her down. Then, I'll come for the princess.
"You can come back then, you and the rest of them." I said into the phone. They'd be useless there, I have to change my plan. There was no stopping her, not when the damned sun burnt so brightly outside. With the late hours before a spring sunset, I'd never get to them on time. I ended the call, and placed the phone onto the desk.
All I have to do now is wait . . . Wait until the sun dips down, before us Strigoi can break free.