'Well, I think that is unlikely,' Maisie said to her friend, 'it all seems a little too far-fetched to me. Why would your brother's new guardians kidnap your sister? And where would they have kept her for the last two and a half years?'

Verity frowned, 'I know that Reggie has seen her recently. I must follow him and find out where she lives.'

'What! Follow him! By yourself?' Maisie said, tilting her head to one side. 'And how, may I ask, are you planning on doing that?' Just as Verity opened her mouth to answer her, Maisie held up her hand and interrupted her. 'Do not tell me that you are planning to follow your brother around the streets of Brussels in the middle of the night. It is not only foolhardy but very dangerous.'

'But, what else can I do? I must find out if Cassie is here. She may need my help.'

'What about asking your handsome Colonel?' Maisie said, with a smile on her face. 'I am certain he would do anything for you, including following your ungrateful brother around Brussels at night.'

'I cannot ask him,' Verity said, shaking her head. 'I am already in his debt as it is, and I could not ask him to help me again. I must think of how to do this on my own.'

'I do not understand why you cannot ask?' Maisie answered. She looked puzzled at Verity's vehement reply. 'He has connections with the military, and he likes you.' She looked over to Verity, her eyebrows raised, and her head tilted to one side. 'He likes you a great deal; I can tell.'

'I cannot ask him,' Verity said quietly, 'I just cannot.' She put her head down. Verity never spoke about her past. Discussing it had always seemed pointless to her: what was in the past, could not be altered. However, sitting in their room late that night, with the flickering candle near to the end of its finite life, she felt as though she owed her friend an explanation.

Verity told Maisie about her visit to Hadlands, for her father's funeral, and the stormy night she had first met the Colonel. She told her about Lord Melrose and his scandalous proposal. She also explained to Maisie that this same Lord Melrose was now one of her brother's guardians. 'Maisie,' she said, as she drew near to the end of her story, 'Colonel Mitford destroyed the contract I signed. I do not know how, but it must have come at some personal cost to him.' There was silence in the room as Maisie digested everything Verity had said. 'Now can you understand why I cannot ask him for his help?'

'I understand,' Maisie whispered gravely. 'I really do. Let me think of something else. I am usually full of good ideas.'

After several minutes of contemplation, Maisie, at last, spoke, 'I have a better idea,' she said, her eyes bright with excitement. 'Do you know Janet?'

Verity shook her head, 'no, I do not think I do.'

'You must know her. She is Madame Dupont's maid. They both came together, from England, years ago.'

'Do you mean, Huntley?' Verity said, cautiously. 'But how can she help?'

'Oh, Verity,' her friend said, with a sigh, 'you should be a little less shy and talk to people. She has a brother who was in the army until he got injured. He is always looking out for work, and I know he would be perfect for a job like this.'

'I do not know, Maisie,' Verity said doubtfully, 'what if my brother sees him.'

Maisie snorted in a very unladylike fashion. 'Verity! Who is your brother more likely to notice following him; a retired soldier, or his sister? Even if he is spotted, by your brother, it is better than doing nothing.'

Verity sighed, 'of course, you are right. I cannot do this by myself.'

'That's settled,' Maisie said triumphantly, 'I will talk to her tomorrow and see if she thinks he would be interested. We could meet him one evening and explain what you want him to do. You do have some money saved, do you not?'