Chapter 19: Full Moon

Start from the beginning

"Oh yes, and you should wear that white dress -"

"White!?" I exclaimed. This day just gets more... Dreadful.

"Yes! White! And you can wear those black knee-high lace up boots, they'll match," she says, shoving me a bunch of clothes, ushering me into the bathroom to change.

I reluctantly took off my comfy clothes, slipping on the lacy undergarments and put on the white dress, which thankfully had straps. The dress ended a few centimeters above my knees making me immediately feel overly self conscious. I normally wear long pants! Not... Pretty white short dresses...

'You've worn skirts before,' my wolf says.

'Yeah, with leggings.'

The dress was thin and had a matching light brown belt. It didn't hug my body tight, but it showed a bit of my curves. Perhaps I should wear flats, for such a special occasion.

I walked out the door and was immediately greeted with Ashlyn's smirk, "I present, Shayla Hale, wearing a dress that is above her knees!" she dramatically says. We laugh and she drags me towards her chair about to do my make up.

"No, please no, can I just be make-up free and go natural?" I begged, trying my best to pull off an irresistible puppy eye.

"Please? I'll wear flats!" I blurt out accidentally. My hands shoot up to my mouth and my eyes widen, "no! I didn't mean that!"

"Flats it is!" Ashlyn happily exclaims, "this has to be the most amazing day of my life! Shayla wearing a dress - that goes above her knee - and she's wearing flats! Okay, wear those white flowery Toms I have?"

I gasped, mortified, "Toms!?"

"Fine, white sandals."

"If that's the only choice you'll give me, hmph!"

"There!" She tosses me sandals and I put them on.

"We need to get to band practice!" I say, wanting to get out before she asks me to put on something more ridiculous than I already have.

"But what about your hair?" she whines.

"I'm leaving it down! Let's just go already!" I grab my guitar I left on her bed and took her wrist, dragging Ashlyn out of the room, ignoring her complaints.

"Please! Shayla! You've got to let me do your hair! Pleaseeee!"

"Noo! Now shut up 'cause we don't want anyone to know we practice here." I glare playfully. She finally obliges and we enter the garage. Cole was already there, setting up the equipment.

"Hey Cole! Look who I brought with me!" Ashlyn teases. I squeal and hide behind Ashlyn in panic. No luck though, Ashlyn shoves me in front to meet Cole's surprised eyes.

"I can't believe you really did it!" he says, wrapping Ashlyn in a hug and kissing her forehead.

"Let's keep things PG-13 here guys, I look ridiculous, right Cole?"

"You look great! We should really practice, it's been a week."

"Sure! Cole and I are going to sing 'I Love You' by Avril Lavigne. Then we're doing 'Fluttering High/Barely Alive' and 'Heart Attack.' "

"Great! In that order?" I ask, happy that they were going to sing such a sweet song.

"Yup! Now let's get practicing, we've only got 40 minutes left until it's 6 o'clock!"

***

Cole returns to our band's standing table with my lemonade as well as his and Ashlyn's smoothies. Nearly 200 werewolves here in the celebration? This is amazing. Colorful lights hung from the trees and there were plenty of snack and drink bars. Children ran around and everyone else was laughing, enjoying the moment.