Chapter 6: Beautiful Disaster

"Arden?" I yell. I slowly stop running.

"Hey, my beautiful Shayla," he says. He lands in front of me as he jumps from the top of a tree. His brown hair, calm voice, blue eyes, was everything I missed.

"Oh my gosh, why haven't you replied any of my texts? Why hasn't my pack seen you in so long? I thought you were dead..." I ask, pulling him in for a tight hug.

Him and I grew up together secretly, we met at a clearing one day when we were twelve. Ever since then, we would stray away from our packs and meet up at least four times a week at the clearing. Then, his pack house was burnt down by rouges a year ago and I hadn't heard from him again.

"I was captured by the rouges, they took me somewhere far away and when I managed to escape, I didn't know where I was or how to get back here. Besides, I couldn't miss my girlfriend's birthday right?" He smiles and my heart immediately melts. I had accepted his death and mourned for him. I didn't expect to still be his girlfriend.

But this is who I wanted, not Chase... This makes everything so much more complicated. How do I even figure all this out now?

"You're a magic user?" he asks, surprised.

"Yes, I can read minds."

"Do you know why you keep dreaming about me?" he asks.

"No, but I liked all the dreams."

"I'm a magic user too, I can dreamscape, which means I can create a dreams and let someone go in it," he whispers, kissing me.

"I missed you so much Arden," I whisper.

"Love you too Shayla."

Oh god, this has to be a dream right?

"Don't you have a mate?" he asks.

"Yeah, but I rejected him. Thing is, he just became the Alpha and I just have to be his Luna! I want you Arden, not him."

Chase's POV

Shayla fled towards the forest, looking so happy. I quietly followed her. She was hugging another male werewolf, and KISSING. Those lips are for me, her mate, and me only. I growled silently, trying to control the anger building up quickly inside of me.

"Yeah, but I rejected him. Thing is, he just became the Alpha and I just have to be his Luna! I want you Arden, not him." She says. I couldn't help it anymore. I leapt from my hiding spot onto the filth of a werewolf.

"What the hell Chase!" she yells, "I fucking rejected you! Why the hell won't you accept that? I don't love you! I love Arden for the sake of wolves!" she pulls the filth away from my grip.

"Mine," I growled. Why am I the only one fighting for the fated mate bond?

"No, I'm not yours, I'm his."

Shayla's POV

I enter Chase's mind, feeling his emotions: anger, rage, love, betrayal, hurt, pain, and even a broken heart.

"Chase, let me speak to him, he's my freaking best friend for the sake of wolves!" I mind-link him.

"Then I'll be here waiting," he replies. I glare at him.

"10 meter radius distance please."

"Fine, but no more than two minutes," he snaps, obviously pissed off.

"I'm so sorry Arden," I say, hugging him. He doesn't even respond the hug or anything.

"Just be with your mate, we weren't meant for each other. You shouldn't be with a rouge anyways," he mumbles, walking away.

"Wait! But Arden-" I yell, but it was too late. He shifted and ran away.

But Arden, I still love you.

Flashback:

"I think we're going to be mates!" I cheerfully said. We had escaped from a pack reunion at his pack house and we were running towards an empty field.

"Of course we are!" he laughs. He tackled me down onto the grass and we had a few moments of silence. I was just twelve, he was thirteen, and I was madly in love.

***3 years later***

"Remember this was where we met?" asked Arden. We snuck out of our houses, since no one exactly knew we were friends. Our packs had turned against each other for some reason which I won't bore you with, so we had no choice but to sneak out.

"Of course I remember!" I smiled. We laid down on the grass, staring at the starry sky.

"Shayla?" he asks, turning around to face me.

"Yeah?"

"We'll stick together, forever."

"Forever," I agreed. He smiled then kissed me.

"Shayla?"

"Hmm?"

"I... I love you. So much."

"I love you too Arden."

*End of Flashback*

I slowly slid onto the ground, crying out all my tears until I didn't feel anything but numbness. Chase had long left, not even sparing a glance at me. I laid there awake, and slowly drifted off.

"Arden! Arden!" I yelled. We were in the meadow again. He was sitting at our favorite rock; his eyes not the beautiful blue anymore, but dead and lifeless.

"I did not call dreamscaping for you, go away Shayla." His voice held no expression but pain.

"Look, Arden, I'm sorry I have a mate I don't love, and I'm sorry your childhood dreams about us being mates didn't come true! Hell that was my birthday wish every single year! I can't love the annoying player when a part of me still loves you!" I yelled, feeling the tears wet my face.

I walked to his direction, trying to reach him, but everytime I got close, it seemed as if I was miles away again.

"Arden!" I screamed, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Shayla! Shayla!"

"Shayla!"

I groaned as I struggled to open my eyes. All the crying made my eyes puffy and hard to open.

"Come here," Ashlyn says. She holds me in her arms and I greatfully hugged her. She hands me a packet of tissue and I wiped my eyes and blew my nose.

"It was Arden, wasn't it?" she whispers softly. Only she and my brother knew about him.

"Yeah, I thought he was dead!" I continued blowing my nose, "this whole mate thing has ruined everything!" I screamed while sobbing.

"I know; I heard Chase mumbling about it at home. We'll figure this out. Maybe Arden will come back," Ashlyn fixes my hair, messed up with leaves, "Okay?"

"Okay."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey lovelies!

New character! And a few broken hearts...

Tell me what you think! :)

"Okay?"

"Okay."

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green