Chapter 1: Mates

Chapter 1: Mates

Let me tell you one thing: I hate the locker rush. Maybe it's because a certain person has his locker next to mine, and he constantly goes to it (even though he doesn't even need a locker) just to annoy me. The only good thing about it is that my best friend, Ashlyn, has her locker is on the other side of mine.

"Hey! Shayla!" Ashlyn runs towards me as I close my locker.

"What's up, Ash?"

"Annoying guy alert!" she replies.

Oh shit. I quickly hide behind Ash but wasn't quick enough since she runs away.

"Shayla!" he gleefully shouts. He pulls me out of my so called "hiding spot" and wraps me in a hug, carries me in the air and spins me around.

"What do you want!" I yell, frustrated, unprepared for that attack, "You're lucky you're next in line for Alpha, or I would've put you in your place a long time ago," I huff.

I pull out of the bone crushing hug and see another one of his sluts coming up and grabbing on to him.

"So? Sixteenth birthday tomorrow, huh?" he asks me, leaning on his locker door.

Why would he remember that? "Yeah, then I will finally find my mate and you can leave me alone," I retort, shuffling my textbooks so they were in the correct order.

"You seem more ecstatic about finding your mate than shifting?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh right, I can shift and then I can run away faster from you talking to me!" I yell behind my back as I head over to my last period. I take my usual seat as the lesson starts.

A large, annoying part of my life is a person named Chase Anderson. Yes, I don't like him. He likes to irritate me. A lot. Ever since I was young, he'd pull pranks on me. He's the school's player, and always has one of his minions clinging on to him. And when I mean, always, I mean 24/8 (yes, 8, not 7.) No, I'm not one of them. I like to wear normal jeans, and normal t-shirts with boots.

'I wonder what color I am...' My wolf muses.

'You'll be cool no matter the color! Though black, light grey, or brown would be nice.' I reply, tapping my pencil.

'I think light grey would be a good change, since you normally wear dark colors. It's almost like you're goth.'

'I like dark colors so deal with it.' I smirk.

"Class dismissed!" my teacher smiles. I immediately bolt out the class and into the parking lot.

"Hey sis!" I hear my twin brother call out to me.

"Cole," I say his name flatly. "I thought I keep telling you to tell your best friend to stop annoying me?"

"Chase isn't being annoying, he's just being nice," he insists for the millionth time.

"Whatever," I wave it off, "I'll find my mate tomorrow and he'll finally stop bugging me."

Ashlyn finally arrives and the three of us drive back to the pack house.

"Isn't it great? You're going to find your mate!" exclaims Ashlyn. We were currently in my room, preparing for the pack party. I slip on my usual dark blue t-shirt and a pair of black silvery jeans.

"And I'll shift!"

"Believe me, it hurts, a lot, shifting for the first time," she says in a dead serious tone.