6: The Big Man

6.

           I FLICKED the white folded paper through Rita's finger goal, it hitting the side of her finger but nonetheless making it though.

           "That's ten points," Rita said throwing the paper back at me. I dodged it and sighed completely bored. We were behind the desk chilling until business actually came through. We worked at The Skatium, an ice skating rink that barely got any business week days.

           "What'd you do yesterday girly?" She hopped onto the long desk facing me sprawled out conformably on my spinning chair.

           Yesterday.

           After being caught eavesdropping and Alec murdering me with his eyes I asked Ryan to take me home immediately. I just had a feeling he knew, he had too. How'd could a person forget?

           We didn't say much to each other after that, actually nothing at all.

           "Hung out with Ryan and his friend Alec," I said spinning in a circle.

           Rita's eyes widen and she slammed her hand on the flat surface, "You're lying, liar!" I rolled my eyes at her excitement. "Is Alec going to be a noble?"

           I shrugged my shoulders, "Why does it matter so much?" The whole hoopla around The Nobles is so unnecessary, we weren't living in the movie Mean Girls.

           "Because," She said looking at a few girls standing at the concessions stand. "The Nobles are what makes highschool, highschool. There has to be an hierarchy and they are just it."

           I smiled at the girls, "But why though?" Even with my brother being a Noble it still puzzled me.

           "Put it like this, they are undeniably gorgeous, amazing at sports and charming as hell," She spoke.

           "Yeah and?"

           "Those three are deadly as hell and make up what makes a person popular, so when you got three guys at the max of the popular check list they will be treated like royalty." She made perfect sense and I hated that.

           "Well that's highschool for ya," I sighed at the flawed imaginary system. "I can't wait until college and that is exactly why."

           She snorted, "It never stops Ree, the bitches and mature hoes won't disappear, neither will the popular ladies and gents." Great, just great.

           This year would be our last year as highschoolers and how my school year was going so far, it definitely wasn't the best year.

           "What you doing next year anyway?" I had my life all planned out and my mom didn't like that. I would major in psychology, become a pyscatrist, never marry, adopt a kid and go from there. When I told my mom my plans she had to check my temperature and make sure I wasn't high.

           "Prolly a community college, I don't even know what I want to do or major in," She hopped of the counter at the sight of our manager. Rita had potential to be great but she would rather go with the flow, no planning. That was her flaw.

           "I'm tutoring people in Spanish on the weekend just to get some extra money for it, cause God knows this job ain't enough." Damn right. "I could go back to Mexico with my dad, he has more money than us here but my mom wouldn't want that."

           "Whatever you think is best for you."

           She smiled, "You're right."