Five

As soon as the bell rang, Belle ran out the door. She had been trying not to cry into her textbook all of class, and despite all her efforts she still let out a few tears onto the bent pages. She ran down to her locker and hurried to get the combination in. "Belle, we need to talk about this," Blake's voice came down from behind her. "What do we have to talk about?" "Us. We can't just break up," Blake replied, her voice hoarse. "I believe we did. I'm sorry, but didn't you once tell me you had a crush on Ray?" Belle turned around, her lip quivering slightly. She met her blue eyes to Blake's hazel eyes, searching for something, anything. All she could see was sadness, and now anger kicking in. "Yeah, when I first got close to you. Three years ago. And you know what? That also faded. Three years ago. But I love you, and that can't fade, and I don't understand why you're so upset about me talking to Ray!"

Belle looked at Blake in astonishment. "I don't care if you talk to Ray. I know he's your best friend. But you weren't even paying me any attention. I was just sitting there. While you and Ray were like two little preps, talking about everything, making plans-" "You were part of the plans until your mother said you couldn't. And I was looking at you over half the time. You never looked up. I'm sorry, Isabelle, but I'm not your mother. I can't say whether you can or cannot go somewhere. I cannot force you to talk in social situations. But gosh dang it, I can't just sit here and be blamed for everything. You could've talked. You could have pulled me aside and asked me not to go with him tonight, but you didn't. Instead, you want to throw it all in my face." Blake's eyes were glowing with anger, her cheeks rosy red. "If you don't text me tonight I know we're over." And with that, she walked away.