Chapter 53: Not About Trust

Start from the beginning

A bruise the size of Africa had spread all across Brian's jaw by now, in addition to a hand shaped red mark on his cheek, a noticeable limp, and it was safe to say, a shattered ego. He shot me glares from across the room during drama class, but hadn't made a single move to approach me since. He was usually the worst part of my school day, but seeing his purple face definitely made me feel better.

It hadn't completely uplifted my sour mood though, which Landon had taken upon himself today to fix, claiming that whatever was inside this white shoebox was the key to my happiness. Or at least, going to temporarily cheer me up.

"Come on Kiana, just humor me," Landon insisted, putting the box back in my hands.

"If I open the damn thing will you leave me alone?" I asked in exasperation, shivering in the cold. It was dark and late and Aidan said he'd be here around like eight o'clock to pick me up, if not him it'd be Blade, but still to be waiting around eight. I'd started pushing my pick-ups later to study with my friends, but honestly it was just better to stay at school where I could focus better than trying at home, when I was never sure if Blade come near me or not.

He wouldn't ignore me forever, I just had no idea when this brief separation was going to end, only that it would be his choice because I had no interest talking to him ever again.

"Probably not, but just open it already. If it bothers you so much then think of it as a reward for studying so hard, instead of a birthday gift."

"Alright, alright," I said, giving up. I pried the lid open with frozen fingers and in the darkness I strained to make out what it was, but after a moment of squinting the penny dropped.

"Landon!" I cried, jumping to hug him without dropping my present into the snow.

"Is that a good 'Landon' or a bad 'Landon'?" he laughed, returning my hug earnestly.

"A good one! How did you get them?" I asked excitedly, pulling away to look in the box again. I flipped one of the flip flops over, the left one, and if I squinted really hard I could just make out the tiny donkey my friend Kyle had drawn with permanent marker on the bottom of my yellow, Sponge Bob flip flops. I never thought I'd see them again.

"Well after I dumped you in the lake, I got up early the next day and fished them out. I figured I could save them for if you were ever really mad at me or something," he said sheepishly. "See? I told you it'd make you feel better."

"Thanks, Landon." I gave him another hug, partially from gratitude, partially to keep me warm in the cold, and partially because sometimes he could be a really good friend.

"No problem." He squeezed me tight, but all too soon he was letting go. "Your ride is here."

Nerves made my stomach spin as I noticed the familiar prickle of Blade's presence that Landon's gift had distracted me from.

"I'll see you tomorrow I guess," I said, tucking the box of flipflops under my arm where they were safe.

"Text me when you get home, yeah? Or if you get lonely," he said, squeezing my arm.

"Okay," I said, thanking him for the flip flops again before I made my reluctant way to Blade's familiar car, parked by the gate.

He didn't even look at me as I got into the car and closed the door, waiting just as long as it took me to secure my seatbelt before we were off. The box Landon gave me sat across my lap and I gripped it tight like it would save me from this awkwardness.

We were halfway home when Blade spoke.

"Mom wants to see you," he said quietly, staring straight ahead at the road ahead, the headlights lighting the way through the dark quiet highway. "She wants us to come for dinner soon."

I had nothing to say to that so I only nodded and sighed, turning back out the window. As soon as we got to his place, I refused to call it my home now, I took off upstairs while he lagged behind. It was our unspoken arrangement these days, even if we were headed the same direction, there was no more walking side by side.