Chapter 50: Wicked Witch

Start from the beginning

"Fuck," I muttered, stalking off down the hall. I turned down the hall opposite of where Mona had gone, which lead to quite the detour to get to Kiana's room, but it was worth it to be as far from Mona as possible.

I finally reached her room and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. Almost a relief as I had no idea how to fix this yet, even though I desperately needed to see her and make sure she was okay.

"Kiana?" I called. "You in there?" Dumb question as I knew she was in there--I could feel her--but some habits were hard to break, even after all this time.

Sighing, I opened the door and poked my head in. Her room was empty but her bathroom door was closed and water was running, which abruptly cut off when I entered her room.

Kiana POV

Oh great. I was trapped now. I felt Blade come closer until I was sure he was right outside of the bathroom door, listening to see if I was okay or almost done, though he didn't say anything. 

I really didn't want to talk to him now. Everything had been going so well, and today had been so fun, I mean I even forgot about stupid Mona and the fact that he was still dating her.

But how could I really forget? I think a part of me really did remember, I had just tried to block it out to make myself feel better.

"I'm so stupid," I muttered, leaning my head against the shower wall, "So, so, so stupid."

As much as I wanted to stay in the shower and just stand under the hot spray I knew I'd eventually run out of hot water and I had no interest in standing under a freezing cold shower. Albeit, between an icy shower or confronting Blade, I wasn't sure which was the lesser of two evils.

"Stop being a chicken," I scolded myself, finally getting out of the shower as I wrapped a towel around myself. I took my time, hoping he'd get up and leave, but he never did.

He was pacing though. Back and forth so much I started getting even more nervous. Had no idea what was waiting for me outside that door. What he would say. What he would do.  What this meant.

I nearly dropped my brush three times as I tried to brush my damp hair and I fumbled with the cap on my toothpaste for several minutes before I finally got it open. I took my time doing everything possible, shaving, brushing my teeth, brushing my hair, towel drying it, brushing it again, braiding it back, before I finally snapped and burst out of the bathroom.

He stopped pacing to look at me, his face etched in a wince of discomfort. "Er...hey."

I passed him, fell on my bed and closed my eyes, arms spread out across my blankets.

"I'm sorry about Mona...I didn't think she was coming back so soon." My mattress sank against my side where he sat. "This is ruining everything." 

"No, really? I hadn't noticed," I said sarcastically, grabbing a pillow to cover my face with it. I really wanted to scream into it, but I wasn't sure just how mature that would be with him here to witness it.

"I really am sorry, Kiana. Especially because I had today all planned out! And now she had to come and ruin your birthday and--"

I sat up sharply, pillow falling to the bed, and knocked my head against his. I hadn't realized how close he'd been to me.

"Ow!" I cried, covering my head with my hands as I fell back down onto my bed.

"Shit," he said, taking my hands off my pained head. He touched it with his fingers gently and I winced, though his fingers were blessedly cool against my warm aching head. "You'll probably just get a bump. No crack in your skull or anything."

"Wonderful! This day just keeps getting better and better!" I grabbed the pillow again and covered my face, giving in to scream loudly but muffled into the pillow until I ran out of air and lay limp on my bed, trying to get all the frustration out now where I could, when I had nowhere else to put it. It just made my head throb more.