Chapter 33

Beth

I sit down in my typical hidden table in the corner of the Fishbowl. I should be preparing, but my thoughts are distracted by the conversation.

It's shocking to think of David and Karrie splitting up. They were so happy on their wedding day, and for years afterward. It wasn't until they started having kids that things changed. I suspect that Karrie transitioned into parenthood much easier than David. I know he resented his father for being a workaholic, but he has followed right in his footsteps.

And I can't stop thinking about what David said about Isaac. Is it really possible that he moved me out of the group because he was still attracted to me? Because he thought it was best for me? It was dumb of him to decide for me, sure, but was it possible that he still cared back then?

I am still lost in my thoughts when Peter and Selena walk by and pause near the fountain. I've missed a portion of their conversation, but it doesn't take long to figure out they're talking about me.

"She should have been more prepared. You should have seen her app. She hired some foreign kid to program it and it was a mess! Very little product testing. No testing. No presales. It's no wonder her original mentor didn't want her. Cole took one look at her product and threw a fit.

"The last round with her app was so glitchy. The only reason why she made it past the first two rounds was there were people in the group that have even more pathetic products than hers."

Peter frowns.

"Doesn't that seem a little harsh? Seems to me you should give Beth a break. I filmed her video and her app is great."

"There's still so much missing in her prototype. The judges are looking for international application. What about multiple languages? Accessibility? Usability feedback? Poor Cole. I can't imagine how painful it must be to work with her."

"I don't think—"

"You know what I heard? She's hasn't even done anything with her life other than drop out of Harvard. I heard all she does is homeschool her niece. No wonder she's so backward. She doesn't even deserve to be here."

"That's not fair—"

"You know what I think? I think the guy who's running this competition has the hots for her. He's always pulling her aside to talk to her. And this morning? I saw her coming out of his office. No one else is getting special treatment but her. She might be earning her spot, if you catch my drift. I have heard his marriage is in trouble."

"Enough, Selena. I don't want to hear this anymore. Those are heavy accusations to throw around. It would be stupid to start rumors without any evidence. Besides, David told me he and Beth have been friends for a long time. You shouldn't assume anything. I'm only here to work on your video edit, so keep the gossip to yourself. I like Beth, and I don't appreciate you treating her that way."

He walks away, and Selena follows.

"Relax, I'm not spreading rumors. I'm just speculating. Besides—"

As her voice fades away, I realize I'm holding my pencil in a death grip.

And here, all this time I thought Selena was just shy. I figured she might be a snob. I had no idea just how gossipy and cruel she is. Well, that certainly kills any desire to try to befriend her.

I try to focus on my work, but Selena's words ring through my head. Is that the way she really sees me? As a bumbling loser who doesn't deserve a place here? Or maybe she just feels so threatened by my product she feels like she has to tear me down to anyone who will listen?