Chapter 16

Isaac

I staggered back. How could she make a decision like this without even speaking to me first? We were engaged, for crying out loud! Not only that, she hadn't even defended me. It was as if her aunt had the ability to walk in and instantly brainwash her.

"I'll wait for you in the car," Beth's aunt said.

As the screen door creaked open, she came face to face with me. Her composure broke for a moment under my glare, but she recovered quickly. She nodded coolly, then strode out to her black Cadillac.

I opened the screen door and stalked inside. The door slammed behind me, making Beth jump. She turned and looked at me, her arms hugging herself. Her red-rimmed eyes were puffy and anguished. Half of me wanted to pull her into my arms and comfort her, but the other half was still furious, so my arms remained at my sides.

"How long have you been there?" Beth asked.

"Long enough to hear most of it."

"Then you understand why I have to go."

"No, I don't. What I see is a family that is manipulating you through guilt to sacrifice your dreams for them. It's very convenient for them, isn't it? Your sister gets to pursue her dream to have a family and live in China. Your aunt gets to go on a book tour. And she actually had the audacity to say I was using you? Beth, look at me. You are at Harvard. One of the most prestigious universities in the world. You are one of the most gifted students I know. You have worked your tail off your whole life to get here and you cannot just leave in the middle of the program. How does it make any sense to leave just as you're getting started? You can't to do this. You're not a nurse, Beth. You're a business student."

She shook her head. My forehead broke out in a sweat. Her aunt had her hooks in her. Beth couldn't leave, she needed to see reason.

"Beth, the solution is simple. Hire someone to help your father. He has plenty of money. You don't have to sacrifice your dreams."

"But he might be dying," Beth said.

"Then visit him on the weekends here and there. I'll drive you myself. Beth, you don't owe that man anything. I saw the way he manipulated and controlled you growing up. He and your sister could be cruel. Every look, every word was a poisonous dart killing your confidence. It was toxic, Beth. It's like you're a different person here. You radiate confidence. You look people in the eye. You voice your opinion. I refuse to stand by and watch my future wife go back into an abusive environment. It's not healthy, Beth."

"It will only be one semester," Beth said. "I'll be back."

"But we won't be in the same classes anymore. It'll throw everything off. And what about your dreams for Solere? You would really abandon David and Heidi and me? Now? When we're so close to pulling everything together to get funding? We need you Beth. We could be a part of something that will change thousands of lives. Don't you feel it?"

Beth was crying now. I felt a bit guilty, but I wanted her to realize everything she would be giving up. Her aunt had said her piece, now I needed to say mine.

I took her hands in mine.

"What about us, Beth? Your place is with me now. You may not be my wife yet, but you will be. And a wife is supposed to leave her father and be with her husband. Imagine the life we'll live together, traveling the world, seeing everything we've dreamed of seeing, helping others. We'll travel to places we've only imagined. You shouldn't be made to feel guilty for wanting to be with your future husband."

Beth was calming now, taking deep, shuddering breaths. I handed her a tissue and she blew her nose.

"Isaac?"