Chapter 23

Isaac

Beth doesn't look too happy to see me. Her reaction unnerves me a little, but the guy with his arm around her concerns me even more. Who is this guy?

"Well, aren't you two cozy!" Sophie says. Beth glares at her, but it doesn't faze her. "Sorry to disturb you, but Isaac has a quick question for you, Beth."

"Sophie, can I talk to you?" Beth says. "Privately."

I've rarely seen her so heated. She is usually so composed and pulled together. Beth's flushed face and passionate words reminds me of the times when we were younger and she defended me. Her fury would be a bit of a turn on if it weren't for the fact that she's mad at me. Beth pulls Sophie aside, but she's upset enough that her voice is raised and I hear every word.

"Why is he here?" Beth hisses. I'm beginning to rethink my decision to swing by. Maybe it would be better to let her calm down first, but I really can't wait.

"I invited him," Sophie says.

"And you didn't even think to tell me?"

Sophie shrugs.

"Sorry, Beth. I forgot. I invite loads of people to these parties. I can't keep everyone straight."

The guy in the blue shirt smiles at me and extends his hand.

"Greg," he introduces himself.

"Isaac," I say, trying to keep my voice friendly. He seems like a nice enough guy. None of this is his fault.

"Beth, I'm really sorry. I didn't realize you were so upset when I invited him. I wouldn't have done it if I knew you cared."

"I don't. I mean, I do, but ... I don't know what I mean. It's okay, Sophie. It's not your fault. I'll just talk to him real quick and see what he wants. You need to get back to your guests."

Sophie walks past me and gives me a thumbs up sign, then cranks the music up so it's thumpin' again.

Beth brushes past me and leans down to Greg. For a moment I think she's going to kiss him, but instead she whispers in his ear. I really don't think she needs to be quite so close to him. If I didn't know Beth better, I would think she's trying to make me jealous. She's not that type though. At least I don't think she is. What do I know, though? It's not like I even know her anymore.

Then she stalks past me and around the side of the house. I have to take long strides to keep up with her.

We arrive at the front and she turns toward me, folding her arms. She is stunning—everything about her. The hair, the makeup, the outfit. Clearly she made a lot of effort to look nice for this Greg guy. I have the irrational desire to take her hands and wrap them around me. Considering I'd rather not end up with a black eye, though, I don't act on it.

"What do you want Isaac?" she asks.

"Beth, are you okay?" I ask cautiously. She half sobs, half laughs.

"Really? You actually have the audacity to ask me that after what happened today? Look, let's make this easy. You don't need to say anything. You do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll leave each other alone. Okay?"

I pause.

"You're talking about the Solere competition, aren't you?" I ask.

"Yes. Isn't that what you came to talk about?" Beth asks.

"Not exactly. I wanted to speak to you about your house."

"My house?" Beth says. "Oh."

"I'm interested in renting it."