Chapter 28 - Part 2

Beth

"One of the biggest problems in our education system is we put teachers in an impossible place," I say. "We expect them to leave no child behind, then we tell them to accomplish it with very little funding. We tell them to embrace Common Core, then add burdensome steps that make it more complicated than it ever should have been. We put too much stock on tests to indicate a child's ability to thrive in college and in the work force instead of focusing on mastery. We worry more about regurgitation than retention. And finally, we fail a large number of children by insisting that a one size fits all education can possibly work.

"According to the Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity, 1 in 5 children children have dyslexia, yet many schools do not accommodate for it or even recognize it as a real disorder. Traditional special ed programs don't work for these children who are bright but unable to process at fast enough speeds, and they don't provide the means for these children to get their thoughts across through writing. The last thing they need is to be held back. Instead, they need a curriculum that works for all kids.

"Brain Retain is a mastery-based app aimed to not only work with children with learning challenges, but all students. Because it uses multiple senses—touch, visual, and audio, the app is able to cater to a wide array of learning styles. We also use textured screens that can be placed over the tablet for specific purposes. So far, we have created an app that utilizes the Orton-Gillingham approach to teach reading and spelling in a much a more exciting and streamlined way, with several reward checkpoints at each level. Our plan is to eventually create a complete curricula for other subjects that works equally well for learners of all abilities and allows those who struggle with school to work alongside other students, just at their own pace."

A judge with the white goatee holds up his hand.

"So let me get this straight. You want advanced students to use the same program designed for children with learning disabilities? How is that any different than passing Adderall pills around to accommodate non ADHD children?"

The other male judge snickers.

"It's completely different. An ADHD and non ADHD child do not need the same drugs. The child who struggles with dyslexia and the child who doesn't both need to learn the same things. One app will accommodate both. The difference will be in the method and speed by which they process it. A child without dyslexia may fly through the program, but they often have retention issues. Dyslexics may require a lot more time to get through the material, but they often retain better. That's why I called the product BrainRetain. A more rigorous program benefits both children and allows them to not only to go at their own pace, but to check for mastery. What's wonderful about this app is we are able to test the children, and based on a child's specific need, customize a program for that child."

"How much do you plan to price it?" the female judge says.

"$4.99 individually. A classroom license would bring the cost down more."

The judges seem surprised.

"Are you sure such a low price point won't undermine the value of the product?"

"I'm well aware I could charge more for it," I say. "I also know that programs designed for those with learning disorders are traditionally expensive, as are curricula in general. I want to change that model. We need to get this into as many people's hands as possible. I would be happy if we could charge even less in the future. I also want to give away free copies to those who can't even afford the five bucks. My goal is to eventually get this app into the hands of everyone who wants it. We may have to charge for in-app purchases, but we will always aim to make the costs affordable."

The man with the white goatee speaks again.

"What type of special credentials do you have to present yourself as an expert on learning disorders?"

"I'm not an expert, though I have done a lot of research," I say. "I do have access to a large database of studies that shows how kids learn. I've worked firsthand with my dyslexic niece, and the program works."

"Time's up," Claire says. "You may demonstrate your program."

I attach my tablet to the screen and begin. The first few frames of the app look great. Just as I start to relax, the app shuts down on me.

"Let me just open that back up," I say. My hands are sweaty and I feel faint. I pull the app up again, but I can tell the judges are already starting to mark me down.

The app reopens. I open a few more screens, then the glitches from the day before start back up. I could pull my hair out, this is so frustrating! Mike and I tested the app so thoroughly. What isn't it working?

The rest of the presentation just goes downhill from there, and so does my mood.

After I'm finished, it's Walter's turn.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Boobinator! Let's face it. Bouncing boobs can be frustrating for women while exercising. My invention is an innovative way to get some gain for that pain. The sensor transforms support bras into energy-generating devices. A woman who wears a D-cup size bra has the potential for her breasts to move as much as 35 cm while exercising, possible enough to conduct sufficient energy to power an iPod. My model will now demonstrate how it works."

The model is dressed in running capris and Walter's bra. She jogs in place, and sure enough, as Sophie predicted, the judge with the goatee is very distracted. The woman judge is looking annoyed, which gives me a bit of hope.

As Walter opens his mouth to continue the presentation, the model begins shouting. She digs around and pulls out the sensor, throwing it to the ground.

"It burned me!" she gasps, glaring at Walter. "Why didn't you warn me? Where's a first aid kit?!"

As she rushes off the stage, Walter looks just as stunned as she does.

"I don't know what just happened," he says, looking bewildered. "It's never hurt anyone before."

After Walter finishes a rather convoluted and distracted pitch, the judges call us all forward. The woman speaks for them.

"Selena, excellent product and presentation. You have survived this round." Selena smiles.

"Beth, we are disappointed to see so many glitches with your app. Your ideas sound promising, but unless you fix those glitches, we will never know how well you can execute them.

"Walter, your product is interesting, but ultimately too dangerous. In good conscience, we can't allow you to continue in this competition. You're going home."

Walter looks gutted. I don't blame him. But ouch! That poor model! I'm going to Nantucket Island, but it feels like a hollow gesture. My product has been a complete failure to date. Once more, the only reason I haven't been eliminated is because someone performed worse than me. I wish Cole had never talked me into that stupid app in the first place. A paper product I can handle, but a digital one with all its potential for glitches?

I feel so helpless.

_________________

Please hit that star and show this story some love!

Poor Beth can't seem to get a break, can she? And what do we all think of Walter's invention? All I can say is ouch! 

Dedication today goes out to the awesome @krazydiamond. As part of the last Wattpad Block Party, I won a prize pack that included getting to be a character in Kristin's books. She asked if I wanted to be a human or zombie and I was all, zombie, of course! SO, she has written me into the sequel of her  ZOMBIES vs. ALIENS story (you can buy the first book on Amazon) called HAPPY LITTLE ACCIDENTS. So if you're interested in reading about a crazy blonde zombie named Sarah Benson, jump on over to her profile and check it out!