Chapter 22

For a moment, my world stills. My mind doesn't form a thought. My heart skips a beat.

I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. The words sitting at the tip of my tounge refuse to leave it.

Abhi smirks wryly. "See? This is why I didn't tell you anything. You hate me now."

No! I love you.

I shake my head at him. "You're lying to me. I know you. You can't do that."

He doesn't meet my eyes. "I wish I was lying." He smiles in self depreciation. "I'm a killer." He says. "I killed Natasha."

"You're not a killer. I know you."

"You know nothing." He snaps. His eyes are so cold and emotionless, yet so haunting.

His gaze shifts to the floor. "I killed her." He whispers.

I can practically hear every defense he's had up - the nonchalant arrogance, the rich boy poise, the distant look, clatter to the floor.

He hangs his hands at his sides, and meets my eyes, letting me read everything in his.

Hurt.

Honesty.

Hope.

The look on his face has me scampering to him, clutching to him tightly. He wraps his arms around me tentatively before tightening his hold. He buries his head in the crook of my neck. Soft, shallow breaths tickle my skin.

"Tell me about it." I beg.

He inhales sharply, humming a no against me.

"Please." I whisper.

"I don't want you to hate me."

"I love you, Abhi. Nothing is going to change that."

He sighs, and I know I'm winning.

We sit huddled up close on the couch. He clutches my palm with one hand while the other clenches into a fist. Clench. Unclench. Clench. Unclench.

I place a soothing hand on his chest. "For me?" I ask.

"For you." He nods, then begins. "We met in college. It wasn't meant to be serious, we had an arrangement in the beginning."

"Friends with benefits?" I ask.

"Yeah." He nods guiltily. "But I fell for her. She fell for me. I think."

I urge him to go on. "We moved in together after college. I got a ring on her finger." He smiles wryly. My heart hurts. "I was ready to elope but she wanted a big wedding. One day, I, we had dinner plans. I couldn't make it home early, so I got her flowers in form of apology, when I walked in, she was screwing her best friend on my fucking couch."

I gasp.

He gives me a look.

"Don't give me that." He snaps. "You cheated on me too."

I gulp. "A guy came on to me. I said no. He kissed me."

"Oh." His jaw clenches and he nods sheepishly. "I'm sorry." He says, pressing closer to me. I smile, forgiving him. Just like that.

"Then?" I ask.

A rueful smile forms on his face. "You know about my temper, and my... possessiveness." He turns to look at me. "I even went to anger management for her, you know. She wasn't fond of my aggressive side," he smirks, "Not like you are," I blush. "That guy went home with a few broken ribs and a bleeding nose."