Chapter 1

I'm late. Again.

I mean, not that late.

I'm running late, got that?

Rishabh will be so mad.

I quickly pull on jeans and a crop top, put on some lipstick and grab my car keys.

"Have some breakfast, Aaliya." My mother admonishes when she sees me hurrying out of the house.

"No, mum, I'll grab something on the way." I tell her, kissing her cheek and continue towards the door.

"Hey wait. I need to talk to you." She looks serious.

Even though I'm running late, it seems what she wants is important, so I stop.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Are you still with Rishabh?"

Damn. How could I forget. My parents hate Rishabh. He's my boyfriend and my team leader at the NGO I work in, did I mention that?

"Yeah."

"He's not a good guy, Aaliya." She says for the hundredth time.

"You don't even know him." I snap.

"I know his type." She sighs.

But...she doesn't. My parents don't like him for reasons unknown. My older brother Gaurav has threated him a hundred times and everyone wants me to break up with him. They say he's not good enough for me.

But, god, I love him. He's funny and cute and he always makes me so happy.

"Bye mom." I tell her.

I drive to my office in silence and just nod at everyone who greets me when I reach there.

Everyone seems to notice my distress because noone teases me about being late again.

I drop my belongings and my phone at my cubicle, then walk to Rishabh's office.

He's sitting on his table, talking to Vidyut, the photographer for our team when I enter.

"Hey." He says when I enter, walking up to me and pecking my lips.

Vidyut rolls his eyes, walking away from his cabin.

"You're late." He admonishes, playfully.

I grin at him. "I was dreaming of you."

He shakes his head, kissing me again, but abruptly pulls away.

"We need to talk." He says.

God, why does everyone want to have a talk?

"Sure." I shrug.

"Not here. At lunch. I'll take you out."

"Okay." I kiss his cheek.

He grins. "Go work on that plan about promoting women's education now."

I smile. He knows how happy this makes me.

At lunch, Rishabh takes me to a Chinese restaurant, where we order our usual before he begins to talk.

"So..." He begins then trails off.

"So." I repeat.

"I think we should take a break."

"What?" I search his eyes for any trace of emotion, but gone is the trace of all the love he claimed for me.

"We should take a break." He repeats.