Chapter 26

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in awhile. I would have updated last week, but Wattpad shut down. It said "Error: Wattpad is temporarily shut down". Did this happen to anyone else or was it just my account? Anyway, here's the chapter!

__________________

Chapter 26

Lights illuminated the once dismal gymnasium, and it almost looked magical. Couples swayed in time to the soft music as I walked hand-in-hand with Chase. The dance floor grew even more congested as I made my way through the crowd. Unexpectedly, Chase stopped, forcing me to halt as well.

"Let's dance", he suggested, pulling me towards him. Unwillingly, I wrapped my arms around his neck as his went around my waist. Something about this felt wrong, very wrong. I remember a time when I would have done anything to be this close to Chase, but now I wanted to run away. Something was missing. Someone was missing.

We barely had a chance to dance before the song ended, and a more upbeat song began to play. I mentally thanked the DJ for his sudden song change as I pulled myself away from Chase.

"Let's go get something to drink", I told Chase as he followed me to the refreshments table. He grabbed one of the fruity beverages from the table and offered it to me. Accepting the drink, I mumbled a thank-you as I took a sip.

"Do you want to go back and dance?", Chase asked. Trying my best to avoid eye-contact with him, I kept my focus on the plastic cup in my hands as I shook my head. We both remained silent for a moment.

"Are you alright?", he inquired all of a sudden.

Startled, I looked up to see him staring down at me with concern in his eyes. "What? Oh, um... yeah I'm fine."

That answer didn't seem to appease his thoughts, and he grabbed my hand once again as a way to comfort me. "Are you sure? You seem distracted."

I was distracted. All I could think about was how I wanted to be here with someone else. I wanted someone else to be standing here holding my hand, but I couldn't let him know that. Even though my evening was ruined from the moment that I agreed to go with Chase, I couldn't ruin his. Besides, I couldn't let myself be distracted by someone who wasn't even going to be around anymore.

Setting the drink down, I replied, "I promise, I'm fine. Come on, let's go dance again. I love this song." A smile grew on his face as I led him to the dance floor this time. For the remainder of the song and about two other ones, I was able to forget about everything else going on and just dance.

That was until I saw a certain brown-haired boy walk in with a certain red-haired girl. Like magnets, My eyes were drawn to meet his and somehow, from all the way across the dance floor, he spotted me. Not until this very moment did I realize how much it hurt seeing Liam walk in with Millie on his arm. His expression was soft and even a little apologetic, but he still continued to do the one thing that he knew was hurting me. I understand that I am doing the same thing to him, but I'm in way too deep, and I can't get out without hurting either Liam or Chase.

Breaking his stare, he continued to walk into the crowd with Millie still attached to his side. I watched as they stopped when Millie began to talk to Brooke and her date. Liam stood with his hands in his pockets, uncomfortableness evident in his posture.

"What are you looking at?", Chase asked as I jumped slightly. Embarrassed by him catching me staring at someone who just happened to be the person that I wanted to be here with instead, I hoped that he hadn't realized I was looking at Liam.

"I was just trying to see if Mia and Alexis were here yet", I quickly recovered. Simply nodding his head in response, he continued to dance. As if on cue, Mia and Alexis had arrived at the front of the gymnasium, and I excused myself to go say hello, leaving Chase on his own.