Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Soo…. Sophiam in real life is official. I truly don't understand how this story is "coming true", but it's just a little freaky. Sorry it took so long for me to update, but honestly, it felt kind of… weird to write about Sophia. The Sophia in this story has nothing to do with the real Sophia, and all the similarities you may find came purely from my imagination. I swear. I'm just upset that when people see #sophiam, my story won't be the first thing they think of. Anyway, I'm still going to continue writing this story, and I hope you all continue reading it. I love you all so much<3

 _____________________

Chapter 23

I just realized: I spend a lot of time feeling sorry for myself. 

Here I was, sitting on the floor in the middle of a hallway, wishing that my life was easier. Life isn't easy; that was a fact that I had to face. It was a fact that I had to accept.

In life, we make our own mistakes. If you mess up, you have no one to blame but yourself. We make our own decisions, and sometimes we make the wrong ones.

Like right now for example. Why am I just sitting here on the ground? Suddenly filled with motivation, I stood up, brushed myself off, and picked up my books. Why should I care if I walk in late to Calculus? I already knew the lesson we were learning. Why should I care that Liam is in my next class? I can ignore him. Why should I care if Liam was going to the dance with Millie? I was going with Chase. 

The adrenaline that had suddenly filled my body somehow managed to carry me into the schoolroom, and I quickly found my seat without making eye contact with anyone. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. Stevens scowl at me. Of course he had to be moved up to Calculus, so I had to endure another year of him. Why couldn't he have stayed in Geometry? But I'd take stick-in-the-mud Stevens over Liam right now. Why did Liam and I have to have so many classes together? I knew that I should have dropped Honors Chemistry; I wasn't that great at it, and I could have gone without one more class with Liam.

Then again, he was leaving soon. But how long was he really going to be gone for? There was no doubt in my mind that Liam wouldn't progress onto the live shows; maybe that's why it's so hard to deal with this. In the back of my mind, I guess I always knew that Liam was going to move on to bigger and better things, things that this small town couldn't offer him. The one desire everyone has in this town is to move somewhere else, but most of us can't, or even know how to, do that. Secretly, it has always been my dream to attend the University of Oxford. I know it's a stretch, but it's something that I have wanted ever since I was younger.

As I glanced up at the clock, I rolled my pencil between my fingers. There was still a solid thirty minutes left of class. Sighing in frustration, I accidentally flicked my pencil, and it landed right next to... Liam. "Damn it", I cursed underneath my breath. No chance in hell was I going to retrieve the pencil; I had others. 

The rest of the class was just one agonizing session of trying to copy everything that Mr. Stevens wrote on the board before he erased it. When the bell finally rang, I made no hesitation this time to leave the room right away. Halfway to my locker, I was stopped by none other than Liam Payne himself.

"What?", I practically spat at him as I whipped around to face him.

"You dropped this", he answered in an irritated tone as he extended his arm to reveal the pencil in his hand. His eyes met mine for a moment, and I suddenly began to feel weak in the knees. 

"Thanks", I mumbled sheepishly as I took the item back.

His attention was focused on the ground, but he shot his head up when he began to speak, "Look. I don't want to go the dance with Millie. But if you're still going with Chase, then I'm going to ask her."

What was that? A threat? "Do what you want, Liam", I snapped as I took off towards my locker. It only took me about five seconds to regret what I had said, but I wasn't going to turn around and run after him.

The rest of the day was a struggle to dodge Liam, but I somehow managed to do it. Maybe he was trying to avoid me as well.

Before I had to a chance to leave the school grounds, I was approached by Alexis and Mia. 

"What's going on?", Alexis demanded as she folded her arms across her chest and fixed her eyes on mine. Mia copied her actions, and I began to feel as if I was under pressure.

"What do you mean?", I replied nervously. Why were they staring at me like that?

"You haven't answered any of our calls, you ignore us in the halls, and you are just being very distant. At first I thought maybe you were just so enthralled in your relationship with Liam, but then he tells me that you two broke up? So now, I am just confused!", she explained harshly.