Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I can summarize the whole meal in one word: awkward.

Alexis would always bring up a subject to discuss, but the conversation would quickly run dry. Zach and Liam did not appear to have many similar interests, so they barely spoke to each other at all. I just couldn't wait for the film, so that we didn't have to start a conversation.

Once we were seated in the cinema, the commercials began to play. I sat between Alexis and Liam.

"Having fun yet?", I asked Liam.

"Uh.. yah", he replied obviously hiding his true feelings.

"I was being sarcastic", I whispered.

He nodded his head as his mouth formed a "O" shape. I noticed that he seemed extremely tense because of the way he clenched his jaw and held the armrest tightly.

"Are you alright?", I asked worriedly.

"I'm fine." That answer didn't satisfy me, but I didn't want to push him any further. About a half a minute later, he leaned down and asked, "Are you sure this isn't a date?"

I simply shook my head. The lights suddenly began to dim. "It's only a date if you make it one", I whispered to him.

"What do you mean?" The gigantic screen came to life with animation as a dancing popcorn bucket sang a song about keeping the noise down in the cinema.

"Well... like if you.. hold their hand, or share food, or put your arm around them. All of those little things I guess would make it a date.

Liam turned towards the screen, but something about his facial expression gave me the impression that he wasn't really watching the film.

I tried my best to forget about everthing else and simply watch the film, but my mind kept wandering.

I didn't realize until Liam adjusted himself that we were sharing an armrest. It wasn't until I felt the absence of warmth on my arm that I realized our arms were touching.

I also didn't realize that I was staring at the armrest, and it was Liam's turn to ask if I was alright. His hand briefly touched mine, and I thought I could feel my heart leap.

Suddenly, the sound of the film began to drown out as the sound of my heart beating rapidly filled my ears. I couldn't do this. "I can't do this", I accidently admitted out loud. "I have to go."

He barely had a chance to reply before I was out the door. I ran right outside and let the coolness of the evening hit my face. I couldn't exactly wander off anymore or even go home. I didn't really think this through, but soon enough, Liam was standing right behind me. I could feel his presence on my back, and I remained still, afraid to turn around.

I couldn't look him in the face. I couldn't look into those brown eyes of his. I just couldn't....

I was preparing myself for him to tell me to go back in, but I was suprised by what he asked. "Why are you lying to yourself?"

I turned to face him and tried to read his expression. He seemed serious, and was awaiting an answer. "What do you mean?", I replied.

He stepped closer to me as his eyes stayed fixated on the ground. His facial expression gave hint that he was trying to carefully phrase his words. His fingers brushed against mine, and I remained still for a brief moment, until I moved my hand. Liam then, grabbed my hand, interlocking his fingers with mine. His focus was locked on our intertwined hands, until he looked up at me. I didn't know what was happening, but I could feel my heart beating.

"Why won't you admit that this feels right?", he asked. I was completely shocked by what he said. I didn't dare to remove my focus from his eyes. I tried to respond, but I couldn't even piece together what was happening in my mind. My mind was numb from all the thinking, and the over-analyzing, and the worrying. I just stopped thinking and acted solely on my impulses.

He lowered his head down slowly, as he neared his lips towards mine. I wrapped my free arm around his neck, as I still held his hand. I played with the loose hair falling from his head. I didn't know what was happening until I felt him graze his lips on mine.

I was standing in the middle of a parking lot, as Liam kissed me. This was insane.