Chapter 16

Chapter 16

He looked back up at me and tried to read my expression. I had no idea how to respond, so I remained frozen. I felt uncomfortable as he continued to stare at me, so I focused my attention on my shoes.

How did this happen? How did he become superior to me? Wasn't he the one who stumbled on his own words when he talked to me? And now I was the one who couldn't even look him in the eye.

He removed his hand from the locker and returned to his normal stance. "I guess I'll see you around", he stated as he began to walk away. He turned around and stole one last glance before walking around the corner. The first bell for class rang. The group of spectators quickly began to disperse. I, on the other hand, stood at my locker, not moving. "Come on, Sophie. We should go", Alexis encouraged.

I was still clutching my books to my chest, and I realized that the halls were empty. I nodded my head in agreement as I followed Alexis to our first class.

As I took my seat, I tried my best not to make eye contact with anyone else. Everyone was chatting amongst themselves, so I doubt they even noticed. The second bell rang, and Mrs. Robertson began to take attendance. She called out name after name, and I raised my hand when she said mine. I was drifting off, but I was soon snapped out of my daydream whe she called out, "Liam Payne." I turned around to see him sitting in the back. Millie and Brooke were seated on either side of him. Great! He was in my first class! Again!

I crossed my arms on the desk and allowed my head to fall onto them. I could have easily fallen asleep if it wasn't for the "whispering" I heard behind me.

"Wow, Liam. I really like you're jacket", Millie cooed.

"Yeah, me too", Brooke seconded.

I didn't want to turn around. I didn't want to see Millie as she draped herself onto Liam. I didn't want to look at Liam's face as he received all of this newly found attention. I just wanted to go home.

After Mrs. Robertson finished with attendance, she began to introduce the class and explain the course. She discussed the material that we would be learning and eventually brought up a new project we would be doing. "You will all be creating a sonnet and will present it in front of everyone. A sonnet is just basically a fourteen-line poem. But we will work on that later", she explained. "Okay, so let's get started."

The day continued on, and l tried my best to avoid Liam, but that was suprisingly hard. He seemed to be everywhere I turned. I didn't know what to do. He seemed like he was over me, but he told me in my yearbook that he wasn't. Did he change his mind over the break? I knew I hadn't. I wanted so desperately to run up to him and tell him that I wanted to be with him and that I regretted not realizing it sooner.

At the end of the day, Millie still remained attached to Liam as well as Brooke and a few other girls. How does Liam not realize that this is the same girl that would tease and make-fun of him? I know that I didn't start off being so nice when I first met him, but still. She was... well... a word I can't repeat.

Frustrated, I slammed my locker and headed down the hall. As I passed by Liam's locker, he looked up at me. I didn't acknowledge him and just kept walking. I thought that I could finally breathe again once I turned the corner, but I was caught off guard when Liam called my name from behind me.

"Sophia", he called but I kept walking hoping that he would think I didn't hear him. "Soph", he said stopping right in front of me.

"What?", I asked coolly as I was forced to stop due to him blocking my path.

"I want to talk to you", he stated.

"About what?", I responded.

"Well, how was your summer?", he asked.