| F O R T Y |

MARTRAY

It took everything in me to get out of my car and walk up to this man's front door. Standing there, I felt like a clock was counting down the time that I was supposed to knock on the door or something. I just wanted to get this shit over with.

    And to say that this man wouldn't let me take my daughter under these circumstances. If anything, he's more loyal to Bruce than he will be to me. I mean, I fucked up big time. He might not feel as strong about me as Bruce does, but loyalty stands where it should. But if he allows for me to get my daughter, it would mean a lot. He should know that I'm good for it. I mean, we technically share the same daughter.

    Building up the courage that I had, I spotted the doorbell and just decided to use it instead of knocking. I could hear the doorbell ring from outside. Clearing my throat, I back away from the door just a little bit and took a deep ass breath that almost caused me to choke.

    I could hear shuffling from the other end of the door and some baby cries along with a man's voice that I assumed to be Jeremy's. After a few seconds, the cries went away and locks from the door were being turned.

    When the door came open, I stared anxiously at Cashmere.

    "DADDY!" She shouted as she dove into me.

    Before I could pull away from her, she grabbed my hand and pulled me inside as she hopped up and down in excitement.

    "Daddy! My daddy's here!" She shouted.

    Jeremy was standing at a table with his back turned, but turned around with a baby boy in his arms with a bottle. When he noticed that it was me, he looked down at Cashmere and then back up at me. The scene was a little too familiar. It reminded me of that time where I was coming home and I saw this man leaving my house with her, holding her hand. I was confused as fuck as to who he was. Then that's when Cheri's skeletons came out. It hurt my feelings all over again, but I pushed them behind me where they fit better.

    "What are you doing here, daddy? Did you come to get me?" Cashmere seemed pretty enthused and I didn't want to upset her to only have her realize that I was here for Britney and Britney only.

    "Well, it's like this, Cash. Daddy's doing a friend a favor. See, I'm here to pick up a little girl for a friend until they get well." Cashmere was still smiling, but I didn't think she understood. I drew my attention away from her for a minute and looked up to Jeremy who was standing there, still, letting it go on. "I know it's a little off guard, but I came here for Britney." I inform him.

    "Cheri told me." He stated, calmly. "She's in the back sleeping. I didn't think you would be here so soon so I allowed her to nap on."

    The atmosphere was weird as shit.

    "I don't mind. I'm just here for her." I say respectfully.

    "It took some convincing, but I see where Cheri's coming from. And had you not have allowed for me to be a father to Cashmere, I probably wouldn't be letting you leave here with Britney against Bruce's wishes. But, from father to father, I see what you're trying to do and I can't knock you for trying."

    Realizing that it wasn't going to take much convincing, I felt lame as hell. But shit, Jeremy and I weren't that cordial to be doing favors for one another.

    "Are you here for me too, daddy?" Cashmere asked me as she yanked my hand. I started feeling bad.

    "Not today, Cassie. Daddy has other things he has to do for his friend first. Whenever he's done, I don't mind you going to spend time with him. But today, you're gonna be with me, okay?" Jeremy butted in and I was appreciative that he did. I didn't know what to say.