| T W E N T Y - N I N E |

TERENY

I had been walking for what seemed like an eternity. My calves were so sore, I thought that my knees would just buck and I would end up falling to the ground. But I kept walking, simply because where I was walking, there were no streetlights. I could barely see where I was headed.

Far out into the distance, I saw cars passing by the road that I was walking down. It gave me the motivation to keep walking. If I could just flag someone down and tell them that I needed to get to a hospital, maybe they will take me. I mean, I still have $4 from where I bought something from the cafeteria at the hospital. That's all I had to offer.

It took me just about ten minutes to walk up that road—felt like. But I made it toward the stop sign and that's where I stopped.

I allowed for my body to just lean against that stop sign and then slide down and onto the ground. I groaned at the sore pain that my legs were in, rubbing at them, wanting the pain to go away. My feet were cramping, making me start to whine out.

And I wanted to sit there all night, but I was afraid to. I just needed to get to a hospital.

My mind was out of this world at the moment on whether I wanted to go back to Bruce or if I wanted to seek help about my own situation. I wanted Paci arrested and I wanted him to stay in custody. But I was the one who interfered at the hospital for him and this is what he does to me. He rapes me.

Tears fell from my eyes, but I wiped them away.

I could still feel his imprint inside of me and the scorching pain between my legs as if we had consensual rough sex all night. But then I started to even wonder if it was rape or consensual. I never said the words no, stop, and don't. I did try fighting him off...at first. I was just confused.

My mind traveled off into a far distance as I sat there, staring at nothing as cars passed me by. And I sat there and allowed for myself to stare. I stared for so long, I got lost. I was now absent. There was nobody home.

My chest was heaving up and down, I could still feel my body parts, but I just couldn't find my brain. And it was at that moment that I realized, I was out of there. It felt like I was going crazy.

Not staring at anything in particular, just staring off into space. Caught up in it, not hearing cars go by anymore, unaware of every noise that's going on around me—I was just gone.

A light had eventually shined on me. I don't know where the light was coming from or even cared where it was coming from. I just wanted the light to shut off because it was too bright. But I couldn't find myself to even look or say something. I just sat there, still staring off into the distance as if there were someone else sitting in front of me.

"Hey, ma'am!" I heard someone call. But I was too caught up in staring at nothing. "Ma'am! Do you need help?!" He was shouting at me, trying to get my attention, but I couldn't respond.

"Maybe she's high or something." A lady with a heavy country accent said to him. "We don't know what she's capable of, Junior. Let's just call the police."

"We can't leave her here."

"I don't mean leave her here, Junior. We can stay with her until the police get here. I'm afraid to leave her here like that."

"Get my phone and call 'em, Betty. Ain't no telling what this poor girl is high on." He paused. "And turn the brights off."

He snapped his finger in front of me from what I could see, but he couldn't gain my attention. I wasn't there.