| T W E N T Y - T H R E E |

TERENY

Deborah wanted to spend the remainder of the week in Georgia and I wasn't up for it. My mind was back on home while I rested in the backseat listening to Bruce's little sister, Angel make baby noise with her cute self.

Jeremy had decided to keep Britney and Britten with him instead of me hauling them with me. I didn't bringing them, but he claimed he didn't mind and found every excuse in the book to keep them. I wasn't going to argue with him.

And from Keira told me last night before I went to sleep when she was texting me, she and Chris were postponing their wedding. I felt bad, almost as if it was my fault things weren't going right. She claimed they were just going to have a courthouse wedding and all of the expenses they had, they were going to use to pay for Bruce's hospital bills. I objected, of course.

The ride to Georgia was quiet mostly because Bernard was driving and Deborah was sleeping. Since I had gotten into the truck, I was mostly quiet and not being myself. I knew that Bernard could sense it. I just want him to say anything about it.

It was six in the morning and here I was, playing like nothing was wrong when something most certainly was. I was basically just contemplating on whether I should give Bruce another shot to prove to me that he was going to change. I mean, we are married and we have children together. I can't just throw in the towel, but at the same time, he really cheated on me the night before our wedding with her. Made a baby and everything, from what Paci said.

As bad as I wanted to look past it, I just couldn't accept the fact that the girl that I trusted had actually stabbed me in the back. Smiled in my face and all. But, I guess that's what I get for doing the dirt that I did. Smiling in Cheri's face like I didn't know anything. Whole time, I'm sleeping with her husband. Karma is most certainly a bitch.

"You mighty quiet back there." Bernard broke the silence. I really wish he hadn't. I don't feel like talking.

"It's really early." I say, staring out of the window.

"Honestly, you look more stressed out than anything. You didn't stay up all night thinking about what's going up there did you?" I slightly rolled my eyes and sighed.

"No, sir."

"I thought you rode up to Georgia with him. Why're you back?" I closed my eyes and clutched onto my phone, wishing he would just focus on the road, but I knew that wasn't happening. He's Bruce's father, and he's a concerned father-in-law.

"I had to come back. There was an emergency at home." I lied. I wasn't sure if he knew that I was lying or not.

"I see." Was all that he said.

Bernard knew that I was lying, but I knew that he didn't want to press the issue any longer. He felt that if I wanted him to know the truth, I would tell him. And that's what type of guy he is. He doesn't keep poking at the problem if the problem doesn't want to surface. He just lets it work it's own way up. I respect that.

I leaned my head back and shut my eyes, praying to get into some kind of dream to carry me all the way to Georgia. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I knew that as Bruce's wife, I had to be there for him in his time of need. And if it were me who'd done something wrong, he wouldn't care. He would just come.

Coaching myself and telling myself that everything was going to be okay, I relaxed my body and tried drifting off to sleep. And when I had finally drifted off to sleep, I woke up to Deborah tapping me on my shoulder with Angel in her arms.

"We're here. They've got him in surgery already." Deborah told me, moving back as I got out of the high truck. Landing on my feet, I stretch and look around the hospital.