Chapter 12

I was still standing by the door of our bedroom, slightly hearing Jake's frantic voice as he tried to mumble something incoherently to the other woman.  I couldn't really hear exactly what he said but I heard the woman ask, "Are you sure?"  And Jake's answer of, "Yes, I'm sure.  This would be quick, just - stay here."

The nerve of this fucking guy!  I thought when I heard him utter those words.  Who did he think he was?  And seriously??  He would want his... His...  His whore to stay at our house???  While I, his wife, was still here?

I took a deep breath to try and calm myself as I heard him amble towards the stairs, his heavy footsteps slowing down as he was approaching our bedroom.  I was simply standing there, his dirty clothes still in my hand, waiting.

Finally, the door to our bedroom slowly moved to open wider.  I knew he was just right beyond it but hearing his voice and seeing him after a while...  I suddenly didn't know what to feel.

"Maine?"

I didn't dare respond.  I didn't know what to say.  What I could say.  So there I was, still in the middle of our room close to the door, standing.  Waiting.  Numb.  I will not cry.  I will not cry.  Not in front of him. I will not show him how affected I am.  I WILL NOT CRY!

"Maine?" Jake repeated, opening the door wider, finally revealing himself.  "You're here."

I then closed my eyes and felt a couple of tears falling down my face, betraying me.  I didn't say anything, my breath hitching when I first glimpsed him.  

"Asan ang mga bata?"

At this, I opened my eyes once more and angrily swiped at my face.  "Iniwan ko sa Pilipinas."

He was taken aback by the flatness and coldness in my voice.  He took a deep breath to try and recover, one hand raking through his hair.  "Bakit mo naman ginawa yun?"

Hearing that from him finally broke whatever it was that I was trying not to do.  "Bakit ko ginawa yun??  Really Jake??  Bakit??  BAKIT HINDI MO KAYA ITANONG SA SARILI MO KUNG BAKIT?!"

"Sshh... Maine.  Not so loud..."

"BAKIT?  DAHIL BAKA MARINIG NG KABIT MO SA BABA?!!"

He sighed and walked further into our room, a bit agitated.  He sat at the edge of our bed, his head down, his hand still going through his hair.  "That's my lawyer," he said quietly, looking up at me. 

I stopped with my tirade and listened.  I knew he wasn't done with the way his face was scrunching up, as if gathering courage to tell me what he needed to tell me.

"My divorce lawyer," he continued.  "And yes, that friend that I was telling you about before you left for the Philippines."

"So I was right.  Kabit mo nga siya."

"Maine..." he said softly, standing up and walking towards me, slowly reaching out to touch my arm.

"Don't touch me!  You don't get to touch me, you asshole!"

He dropped his hand and sighed again.  "Hindi ko siya kabit, Maine.  I like her, sure.  And I actually am falling for her.  But she's not doing -- We're not doing anything.  Hindi niya rin gusto na ituloy kung ano man ang nararamdaman ko para sa kanya while still married to you," he explained.

"And so now you're divorcing me so you and her could finally be free to be together," I answered monotonously.

"It's not like that..."

"Then what is it, Jake?" I interrupted, starting to get angry.  "Your last text to me was 'I love you, never forget' and then you stopped.  Suddenly.  Walang pasintabi.  Then it was 2 fucking weeks of trying to reach you through every one we ever fucking know dito sa Amerika to no avail."