Chapter 3

2 years ago...

I didn't realize it was hard to be a stay-at-home mom, full time.  But I was enjoying it.  Being the sole queen of the house and of course, enjoying my alone time with my kids.  It was morning and I just finished dropping off Celestine at her pre-school.  Now at home, I was able to put Sebastian, who is now 7 months old, to sleep.  He would wake when it was time to pick up his 'ate'.  I am a super mom! Yeba! 

I was checking on the laundry that I put in the washer when I left to drop off my daughter when my phone rang.  

"Hello, babe?"

"Hi, Jake!  I just got home.  Sebastian is now asleep and I'm currently doing laundry.  Gawin ko ang lunch maya-maya.  Dito ka ba maglu-lunch?"

"That's what I was calling you about..."

"Oh... So you're not coming home for lunch?"

"No...  Well, you see - yung boss ko kasi wanted to treat us for lunch since our department managed to top the sales again this month.  So celebratory lunch.  Sorry, I know you look forward to us having lunch together as a family."

I shrugged while I was taking out the clothes from the washer and putting them into the dryer, as if he could see me. "Nothing I can do about it.  That's work."

"I know you'll understand.  Bawi ako mamayang gabi. I promise," Jake answered.

"All right.  I gotta go.  I think Sebastian is crying," I said although my son was far from that and was soundly asleep.

"Sige, babe.  I love you!"

"You, too."  Then I hung the phone up.

I sighed.  Ever since Sebastian was born and I decided to be a full-time mom, Jake had to be the sole breadwinner of the family.  Which meant that he had to work doubly hard as opposed to when I was working as well when we only had Celestine.  He made good money, bigger than what I was making when I was working but it's not how it used to be when both of us were bringing something to the table.  Thank God that both our cars were paid for at that time so we only had our mortgage and bills to think about. 

But still - ever since we had Sebastian, I noticed Jake working more and more.  Not that I blame him since we needed to make sure that our little family could make it.  But we see him less and less.  Celestine was starting to ask about her daddy and why she doesn't seem to see him at bedtime anymore (because Jake usually go home way past the kids' bedtime).  I kept on telling her that daddy was just busy and needed to work because he needed to take care of us.  

I was starting to feel the toll of being the only one to take care of the kids as well. Not that I was complaining but it wasn't that easy to be the only parent that your kids could see and you do everything in your power to keep everything balanced in your household.

Tama na nga 'yan, Maine.  Puro ka negative thoughts.  Isipin mo na lang - Jake is doing all these para sa inyo.  Pag lumaki-laki na naman ng konti si Sebastian pwede ka ng bumalik sa work e.  And then balanced na ulit ang time ninyong mag-asawa sa isa't isa pati sa mga bata.  Konting tiis pa.

I went to our bedroom and took out my MacBook.  I left the door open so I could hear if ever Sebastian wakes up.  As I laid down on our bed, on my stomach - my phone ping'ed.  I thought Jake was calling or texting again.  What does he need this time?

But the notification on my phone's screen said otherwise.  

Alden Rioja - Hi, Mommy Maine! :)

I couldn't help the smile that graced my face once I saw his text.  After almost a year of simply messaging each other through Facebook, I finally gave in to him into giving my number so he could text or call instead.