Chapter 11

I couldn't sleep. Not on this flight. We were already 30,000 feet in the air, the shutters were all down, the lights were all off and everyone around me was already asleep or at least most of them were. We were 4 hours into the flight already. 10 more before we touch down at LA and I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I know I need to at least get a small amount of shut-eye to avoid getting jet-lagged when I get to California but I really couldn't. I was listless. Restless. I just. Really. Couldn't.

How could I when HE was seated right next to me.

I didn't know how he managed it but he was able to get the seat right next to mine. I think he might have spoken to one of the stewardesses because I know he wasn't originally seated where he was at the moment. The plane wasn't full and there were vacant seats even in the First Class so I was assuming that he was able to change seats with no issue whatsoever.

Now, he was here - beside me, sleeping peacefully - his chair reclined, his face free of any stress with some of his hair falling on his forehead.

He still looks so good. I wonder how he managed it. The years has been kind to him. I thought as I stared at him, unabashedly, feeling safe in the knowledge that he wouldn't know. I was itching to touch him, touch that hair of his to swipe it away from his gorgeous face then touch his face lightly - to feel that skin, that deep dimple of his, those enticing pink lips that were ready for...

Stop right there, missy. Stop. Remember why you are on this plane, alone and on your way to California. Remember your kids. Remember Jake.

I honestly did not know what was going on with me at that time. I was confused. I was angry. I was lonely. I was really really mad at Jake and Alden too for putting me in this predicament. I was mad at myself more so. Kasi ang tanga tanga ko. As in. Sa dami dami ba naman ng choices na pwede kong gawin - ito pa talaga. Ano ba?!

My heart was telling me one thing that my mind was vehemently denying. I was on that plane to try and fix my marriage with Jake for the sake of our children. And because I love him, right? Right, Maine? BECAUSE YOU LOVE HIM. I didn't know if I was trying to convince myself of this or what. But I do know that this man beside me - this lovely man who was asking the one thing from me that I just couldn't give right now - was willing to wait for me and go to the edge of the world for me should I ask.

Damn you, Alden.

I sighed and slouched at my seat. I could have easily talked to one of the stewardesses to have my seat changed as well but I knew it was going to be futile as he would just follow me again. I then put on my headset and tried to listen to some music to soothe me. I closed my eyes, determined to just drift off - trying with all my might to ignore the one man who was beside me at the moment.

The one man who still has the ability to break me.

==========================

I didn't know that I fell asleep, only finding out that I did when Alden shook me awake for 'breakfast' which the stewardesses were starting to give out.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked, smiling at me softly.

I stretched a bit and put my seat into an upright position to ready myself for the plate of food that was about to come. I yawned, removed the headset from my ears and nodded at him absent-mindedly. "Hindi ko namalayan na nakatulog ako."

He chuckled. "Ang cute mo nga eh. Naghihilik ka pa ng konti."

"Hoy! I don't snore!" I indignantly exclaimed, frowning at him.

"Yes, you do. Slight lang," he grinned, that damn dimple of his always making an appearance. "Wag kang mag-alala. Hindi naman malakas. Tsaka ang cute nga."