Chapter 10

"Alden, anong ginagawa mo dito?"

He just smiled at me, that freaking deep dimple of his making an appearance.  I wanted to stand up and run again or just walk away though I know I couldn't considering my flight was about to get called.  And yes - I just asked him the most inane question ever.  Of course, he was probably here to go somewhere.  Duh, Maine.  

"I have a flight to LA," he answered me back nonchalantly.  Somehow, I didn't believe that his being here was just a coincidence.

"Were you talking to my mom again?" I asked after a while, narrowing my eyes at him.

He smiled back once more a bit sheepishly this time around, then started rubbing the back of his neck, his ears going redder by the second.  "Uhm, I did?" he replied, a question at the end.  

I rolled my eyes and stood up to just leave him be when he held my arm to stop me.  "Maine, sandali lang naman.  Bakit ba lagi mo na lang akong inaalisan?"

I looked down at his hand then back at him, waiting for him to go on.  He let me go and gestured for me to sit down once more.  I did and faced him, tilting my head to the side.  

"Look - ok.  I did talk to Tita Mary.  Nasabi nga niya na ngayon ang flight mo.  She might have also mentioned your flight details," he explained and I had to urge again to stand up and call my mom just to tell her to stop meddling when he continued.  "But - I am not here just solely for you.   I do have a meeting with a possible partner in LA for my business so when Tita Mary told me your plans, I thought it was - well, you know..."

"You thought what?" I said, reigning in the anger that was starting to brew inside me.  I was feeling vulnerable already what with the current situation as to why I was going back to the States, alone.  And then Alden decided to show up and just freaking ride on this vulnerability of mine.  Granted - he didn't exactly know the extent of what was going on between Jake and I, but he had an idea.  

"You thought it was ok to take a flight the same as I?  You thought this was a perfect opportunity?  For what, Alden?  For what, huh?!" I whispered-screamed at him.

I didn't even know if he had the same flight as I but considering that he was one of the few people around the lounge who was going to LA, plus the only flight that time to LA was the one I was going to be on - then it was safe to assume that he would be on the same flight as I would be.  

I stood up once more and he held my arm to stop me again.  "Maine, please naman.  Mag-usap naman tayo ng maayos," he pleaded.  I didn't face him but I let him continue holding onto my arm.  

I heard him sigh and take a deep breath, his hand sliding down to take my hand instead - giving me goosebumps along the way.  I tried ignoring it, to no avail.  I knew he noticed that he still had an effect on me.  But to hell with it.  I couldn't exactly control that now, could I?  He pulled me gently so I could sit back down.  I did but I still did not face him, opting to look towards the clear doors of the lounge at the other side.

"Look, I already gave you space.  After that last encounter we had - mas minabuti ko munang wag kang kausapin.  Alam kong mas magiging kampante ang isipan mo kung hindi kita guguluhin," he continued, quite exasperatedly at the way I was acting towards him.  "Now, wag kang magalit kay Tita Mary but she was the one who actually called me about dito sa flight mo pabalik ng States.  Nasabi niya rin sa akin na ikaw lang mag-isa ang babalik at hindi mo kasama ang mga bata.  Hindi ko na inalam kung bakit dahil desisyon mo naman yun.  Maine...  Harapin mo naman ako, please."

I then faced him stonily.  I didn't really understand why I was angry with him when he didn't really do anything.  Yet.  Well, except for the fact that he was here and in the same flight as I was.  But I guess - you could chalk it up more to me being exposed and defenseless at that moment.  And he was clouding my fragile heart once more.