Chapter 2

Present Day...

I heard him before I saw him.  I was slicing some apples to be placed in the fruit salad I was making.  Both Celestine and Sebastian loved apples.  The chicken I was making was done and placed in the oven to continue cooking.  Dinner was pretty much done.

I heard his footsteps slowly approach me in the kitchen.  It was like he was being careful around me.  This had been going on for quite some time now.  It was like we do not know how to act around each other anymore.  This was especially more obvious once we had Sebastian.

"I can hear you, you know," I said with my back still towards him.  I continued slicing apples.  "Hindi mo naman kailangang maging maingat pa."

I heard him sigh and pull out one of the bar stools from our breakfast counter.  I heard him try to sort through the mail that was on the counter.  I heard him put the mail down and sigh once more.  

I put down the knife I was holding and faced him, arms crossed.  "Nasaan ang mga bata?"

"Nasa play room.  Celestine wanted to watch Disney Junior.  Sabi ko tatawagin na lang natin sila kapag ready na ang dinner."

We looked at each other for a while.  He was the first one to look away.  I sighed.  This is not going to be good.  

"You said we'll talk when the kids are not here.  So...  Talk."

"I don't really know what to tell you, Maine."

"Why don't you start with the way you've been treating me when we're not in front of the kids for the past 3 months.  Yes, Jake.  3 months," I reiterated when I saw him flinch a little.  

He scratched the back of his neck, a nervous gesture.  He didn't answer right away.  He looked everywhere but at me.  

"Jake...  What's going on?" I asked.  "Hindi ka naman ganito dati.  You used to be able to talk to me with whatever.  Ngayon, parang bigla bigla ka na lang naging malamig."

Still, he didn't answer.  I was starting to get frustrated with his silence.  I had an inkling as to why he was being like this with me but I wanted to hear it come from him.

"Jake - just say it.  This -" I pointed between the two of us. "- this is tearing this family apart.  Yes, you love your kids.  Pero tayong dalawa?  Kapag tayo hindi ok - tingin mo ba magiging maayos din ang relasyon natin sa mga bata? Ang pamilya natin magiging maayos din?"

He stood up and paced.  Hands occasionally going through his neck and hair.  Whatever it was that he wanted to say - I knew that it wasn't good.  

"It's really because of you, Maine.  I didn't want to do this." 

"What?!" I almost screamed.  "I am not at fault here, Jake! Ikaw ang nanglalamig.  Ikaw ang parang may tinatago.  Ikaw ang hindi marunong makipagusap sa akin! Ang tagal na kitang tinatanong.  You always push me away and -"

"I met someone!" he shouted at me.  "I met someone," he repeated a little more quietly.  "There - happy?"

I inhaled sharply.  I didn't want to believe what I just heard.  But it made sense.  Everything that had been going on for the past three months between us finally was making sense.  His not talking to me much. His not answering my calls or texts immediately.  When he would sometimes stay at work a little bit later than usual.  

"Since when?" I whispered.  "Since when have you been cheating on me?  Since when have you been pulling this family apart?  Huh?! Since when?!" I shouted that last bit at him.

He shushed me.  "Huwag kang sumigaw.  Baka marinig ng mga bata."

"And now - you're concerned about the kids?! Really, Jake?!"